Law School Discussion

Republican and Gay

redemption

Re: Republican and Gay
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2006, 09:58:53 AM »
Red - you are acting like a petulant teenager clothed in black, spouting marilyn Manson lyrics. The world is not simply Black and Pink. And I think that is the point BlueDevil is trying to make.

Eh, I don't think so. I'm saying something quite specific: don't pay dues to a party that hates you, or whose core identity springs from that hate. That's quite a narrow position, not at all complicated, and common sense.

I'm acting petulant because people are not reading what I say.

redemption

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2006, 10:00:12 AM »
Red can you respond with answers to my questions and points instead of just patronizing me?

I agree with demingh. I am not even a Republican. My beliefs are pretty libertarian, but I identify more with the Republican party many times. I vote issue-by-issue, candidate-by-candidate. I plan to support my state's (moderate Democratic) incumbent for senator in a few weeks. It all depends on the issue/candidate.

But I would never tell someone else not to support a certain party/candidate/issue just because of their sexual orientation, race, or socioeconomic status. They are entitled to make their own decision. That's democracy.

See?

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2006, 10:06:28 AM »
to lighten the mood

im all for turning red states pink  ;D

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2006, 10:15:59 AM »
nope.

i keep saying we should split the country in three

the extreme right and left can pick thier coast, the moderates get the middle

redemption

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2006, 10:19:23 AM »

I believe that Blue is trying to make the point that your view is too narrow and the political sphere and party alignment are far more complicated that your "quite specific" view.

Black and Pink baby.

If you live in NYC and want to vote for Bloomberg, I don't see a problem whether you're gay or black or whatever.

If you pay dues (if you are a member of) a national organization whose base and whose strategy is founded upon beliefs that deny your humanity and worth, you're a joke.

If you want the country to move in a more accomodating direction as far as (for heavens sake!) an essential part of your identity  is concerned don't finance a party who uses your money to mobilize against you.

-------
As an aside, a pragmatic question if anyone would care to answer it:

If you want to help move the national Republican party away from that base instinct of theirs, why is not voting against them when they appeal to homophobia and racism not at least as effective as joining them "and working for change from the inside"?

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2006, 10:23:38 AM »
AND on a side note
looks like VA might ban gay marriages.

but im sure its not a repub inititative...

redemption

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2006, 10:33:15 AM »
red my number one political goal is not to legalize gay marriage. It is one goal, but it's not the only goal. I have weighed the pluses and minuses for ME for supporting the democratic party, and there are far more minuses for ME PERSONALLY.

I'll ask again -- are you gay? if so, are you considering becoming a member of the Republican party? If not, I don't see how anything that I have said is relevant to this response or vice versa? Do you see what I mean? You seem to be wanting to answer objections that I haven't made and to things that I haven't said.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2006, 10:36:13 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/16/AR2006101601261.html

you can almost see the frustraion in some of these posts/

im rick james 8itch!

redemption

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2006, 10:41:09 AM »
Well, because it's not like the Democrats are pro-gay either. You think by voting Democrat gay marriage will be legalized and gays will be given equal rights? Laughable.

If in the next election every single Democratic candidate was voted in and not a single Republican, this still would not even come close to happening. At the end of the day, both parties simply care about winning seats and they will adjust their strategy to fit what they think the populace majority thinks on a particular issue.

Utterly non-responsive to my post!  :D

Ah, well.

I love ya demingh, and I'm not hot under the collar about this issue.  :)

redemption

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2006, 10:48:32 AM »
Yes I am gay, and what do you mean by "join"? Do you mean go to meetings, donate money, etc? No I am not considering that. But I will vote for a republican candidate if I feel that he or she best represents my political ideas. And there is nothing wrong with that, but you seem to think there is just because I am gay. Narrow-minded?? Yep.

Okay, so you are gay and you're not considering becoming a Republican. Fair enough. Would you vote for an anti-gay candidate (he has said that he believes homosexuality to be a sin and that "the homosexual agenda in Washington needs to be challenged") even if you agreed with him on any other issue?