Law School Discussion

Republican and Gay

redemption

Re: Republican and Gay
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2006, 08:28:02 AM »
Do you think gays have always been welcome in the Democratic party as well? Ha. You should thank gay republicans for putting up with B.S. in an effort to change things in the party where they are unpopular, instead of rolling over and just giving up and joining the Democrats.

By the way red, saying "this is false" doesn't make it so.

Bah. Democrats again. Jeez.

redemption

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 08:29:45 AM »
Red, your problem is not with gay republicans but with republicans, right? Then what's the point in having this discussion? If you can't see the possibility that others have different beliefs than you do, then how are we supposed to have a productive discussion?

Naw, man. If you're a white male WASP American and you're Republican, I'll say it again, I cab dig it. If you're a member of a group that they target for scorn, then there's something wrong with you if you pay dues to them.

redemption

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 08:31:39 AM »

I would not join teh Republican Party because I disagree with the vast majority of their platform. However, I definitely believe in changing the system from within and do respect gay republicans for that. And of all my gay friends I'd say 1/3 are gay republicans, quite remarkable IMO.  :D

You want to change the Republican Party? Vote against them. That's how the system works. They lose, they change. When they figure out that they lose because of their tendency to hate-monger, they'll drop it like a bad habit. Join them, and you subsidize it, provide cover for it, extend it.

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2006, 08:35:41 AM »

One point I made earlier is that joining the party allows for reform from within. Also, you ask what do they care about:
- being pro-life AGAINST WOMEN
- less welfare, they might not want their money going to sustain people simply because they do not work AGAINST THE POOR
- against affirmative action AGAINST MINORITIES
- tougher immigration standards AGAINST BROWN PEOPLE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES
- less government regulation of businesses HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. PLEASE.
- also, some gay republicans do not believe in gay marriage AGAINST GAY PEOPLE
I do not necessarily believe in these causes and some gay republican might think differently since I am not a republican, but I think they clearly show a small smaple of the wide array of issues of why someone gay might want to join the republican party over the democratic party.

By the way democracy flourishes while there is debate and dissent, the day that having a different opinion merits contempt is the day that it dies. I might disagree with republicans on many, many issues but I do not hold contempt for them. Respectful debate and change of ideas is what allows a society to flourish.

You are being ridiculous. I do not believe in the majority of those issues I listed, therefore I will not debate their merits. However, they are examples of more issues than just taxes or gay rights. Red, the reality here is that you are agaisnt basically everything the republican party stands for and can't even imagine loosing what you think should be a key constituency of Democrats. Is this type of thinking that has led to the growth of the Republican party not only with gays, but with hispanics and blacks as well.

The last bolded part -- disingenuous. Gays can't debate if they're not Republicans? Or is it that I won't swallow those bumper stickers that you've listed? You want sophisticated debate, then present your argument; not hollow slogans. And I mean that nicely and sincerely  :)

I am pointing out that people are allowed to have opinions different from your own and that does not merit contempt. I think your main problem with the republican party is it disposition for intolerance (correct me if I am wrong) but you are clearly showing the same amount of intolerance by insulting those who believe different than you.

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2006, 08:38:47 AM »
You want to change the Republican Party? Vote against them. That's how the system works. They lose, they change. When they figure out that they lose because of their tendency to hate-monger, they'll drop it like a bad habit. Join them, and you subsidize it, provide cover for it, extend it.

Again you assume that it is all about one issue. What if you agree with them on everything else, would you want the Dems to win? The obvious answer is NO.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2006, 08:40:15 AM »
not necessarily true.  im sure, like me, shes for some of the things they USED to stand for.

smaller govt.
less wasteful taxes

but those ideals have been thrown to the side over the past few elections, and they dont seem to be in a rush to get back to them.

the repubs today are about religion and big business.

oh, and

tax cuts for the rich!

redemption

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2006, 09:21:35 AM »

I am pointing out that people are allowed to have opinions different from your own and that does not merit contempt. I think your main problem with the republican party is it disposition for intolerance (correct me if I am wrong) but you are clearly showing the same amount of intolerance by insulting those who believe different than you.

You'e trying my patience and I'm speaking as slowly and plainly as I am able. If you're not a member of a targeted group, go for it -- I'm fine with it, I can respect that you care about yourself, and that the $300 can pay for a new TV.

I cannot, however, comprehend the notion of a black Republican or a Gay Republican. It always ends in shame for those people.

Please read this. Please read it carefully, and tell me that you don't know that that's what many Republicans feel inside and (almost) never say:
http://www.newenglishreview.org/custpage.cfm?frm=3891&sec_id=3891

redemption

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2006, 09:27:45 AM »
can you get it through your head that it's not about $300!

What is it about?

redemption

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2006, 09:28:34 AM »
if someone is willing to fight to make a party more inclusive, then who are you to tell them it's not worth it? Your position that we should give up and join a party that is already accommodating instead of fighting to change people's minds is pathetic and cowardly.

Haha. True enough. I am kinda cowardly.

redemption

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2006, 09:45:22 AM »
It's about different things for different people - that's the point - people choose a political party based on what works for them and what they believe.

Who are you to tell someone that they can't be a part of the Republican party because they are gay/black/poor? That takes away their agency and invalidates their beliefs.

The idea that a gay/minority/poor person might choose the Republican party might seem wrong to you, but it works for them.

The idea that a gay/minority/poor Republican is being "fooled" and is going against their own, personal best interests, is arrogant and elitist.

Who are you to tell someone else what their political party should or should not believe just based on their sexual orientation/race/socioeconomic status?

lol

You crack me up. I almost want to pet you.