Law School Discussion

Republican and Gay

->Soon

• View Profile
Re: Republican and Gay
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »
This is exactly the reason why I hate the gay community sometimes. You preach tolerance and open-mindedness yet when a gay person doesn't fit what you think a gay person should be, you jump all over them. Everyone can have their own beliefs. I think everybody should be able to be a part of whatever party they want to, whether they are gay, straight, black, white, rich, poor. Don't invalidate others' beliefs by assuming that you know better than they do which party aligns more with their best interests. That's just arrogant.

Who are you talking to? Me? I'm straight.

not even a bit curious?  :(

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2006, 08:13:24 AM »

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2006, 08:18:01 AM »
Don't be silly. The choice is not between republican and democrat, it between whether to join up with people who are disgusted by you or not. If your dignity and humanity is worth trading for a $300 or $3000 check in the mail, you're beneath contempt.

You are thinking that all gay republicans care about is less taxes. Making democratic choices is more than one or two issues, if you can't see that then I am sorry. By the way there are tons of Democrats just as disgusted like most Republicans (see examples of Dem Senators above). The choice is not as clear as you make it seem.

Haha. Did university professors join the Khmer Rouge because they liked the country air?

As I have said before -- and this is a point you seem stuck on -- the choice is not between democrats and republicans, it's about whether to join the Republicans or not. Republicans outside ME, VT and RI court hatred. It's their strategy; it's the base from which they spring.  I dig that your average white straight joe might not care about that, but if you're gay, black etc -- that should register somewhere in your consciousness and make you pause.

What do gay republicans care about, anyway? Freedom? Equality? the Judao-Christian Tradition? The War on Terror? Please.

One point I made earlier is that joining the party allows for reform from within. Also, you ask what do they care about:
- being pro-life
- less welfare, they might not want their money going to sustain people simply because they do not work
- against affirmative action
- tougher immigration standards
- less government regulation of businesses
- also, some gay republicans do not believe in gay marriage
I do not necessarily believe in these causes and some gay republican might think differently since I am not a republican, but I think they clearly show a small smaple of the wide array of issues of why someone gay might want to join the republican party over the democratic party.

By the way democracy flourishes while there is debate and dissent, the day that having a different opinion merits contempt is the day that it dies. I might disagree with republicans on many, many issues but I do not hold contempt for them. Respectful debate and change of ideas is what allows a society to flourish.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2006, 08:18:19 AM »
then explain to me why?

if you wnet to a convention and announced openly you were gay, do you think they would welcome you with open arms?  or would they say thanks for your votes and money, heres a nice closet for you to wait in.

redemption

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2006, 08:19:32 AM »

redemption

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »
I don't think you guys are interested in an intellectual, informed discourse about what would possess someone to be a gay republican. YOu are interested in attacking the republican party and anyone (gay or straight) that would be a part of it. I can acknowledge that there are reasons why someone would be a Democrat, but you act as if every Republican is an idiot and being fooled. You're cutting off the possibility of rational discussion here by not even being open to what anybody has to say about being gay and republican, or being republican at all. What's the point of continuing.

Every statement in this para is false. Quite remarkable.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2006, 08:22:27 AM »

its how they won the south...

No sh*t.   :)

Hey girly  ;)

Hello, chica!! Long time. Missed you.

Same here. I don't want to hijack the thread but I wanted to say hello. Great to see you posting again! Let me know when you're coming to visit.

redemption

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2006, 08:24:40 AM »

One point I made earlier is that joining the party allows for reform from within. Also, you ask what do they care about:
- being pro-life AGAINST WOMEN
- less welfare, they might not want their money going to sustain people simply because they do not work AGAINST THE POOR
- against affirmative action AGAINST MINORITIES
- tougher immigration standards AGAINST BROWN PEOPLE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES
- less government regulation of businesses HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. PLEASE.
- also, some gay republicans do not believe in gay marriage AGAINST GAY PEOPLE
I do not necessarily believe in these causes and some gay republican might think differently since I am not a republican, but I think they clearly show a small smaple of the wide array of issues of why someone gay might want to join the republican party over the democratic party.

By the way democracy flourishes while there is debate and dissent, the day that having a different opinion merits contempt is the day that it dies. I might disagree with republicans on many, many issues but I do not hold contempt for them. Respectful debate and change of ideas is what allows a society to flourish.

The last bolded part -- disingenuous. Gays can't debate if they're not Republicans? Or is it that I won't swallow those bumper stickers that you've listed? You want sophisticated debate, then present your argument; not hollow slogans. And I mean that nicely and sincerely  :)

redemption

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2006, 08:25:06 AM »

its how they won the south...

No sh*t.   :)

Hey girly  ;)

Hello, chica!! Long time. Missed you.

Same here. I don't want to hijack the thread but I wanted to say hello. Great to see you posting again! Let me know when you're coming to visit.

I will, definitely.  :)

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2006, 08:26:21 AM »
Do you think gays have always been welcome in the Democratic party as well? Ha. You should thank gay republicans for putting up with B.S. in an effort to change things in the party where they are unpopular, instead of rolling over and just giving up and joining the Democrats.

By the way red, saying "this is false" doesn't make it so.

I would not join teh Republican Party because I disagree with the vast majority of their platform. However, I definitely believe in changing the system from within and do respect gay republicans for that. And of all my gay friends I'd say 1/3 are gay republicans, quite remarkable IMO.  :D