Republican and Gay

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: Republican and Gay
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 06:53:56 PM »
To be honest, I think lots of Democrats are just as homophobic and racist as Republicans.  :-\

It's just not a part of their official platform.  :P

Irrelevant.

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 06:59:17 PM »
Sorry, I think I've been misinterpreted.  :(

I'm not saying there's no difference.  I'm just saying there's still room for improvement with the Democrats as well.  :)

BrerAnansi

• Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 07:01:10 PM »
GRIDS...Reagan...C.Everett Koop...ring any bells...

yep

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 07:04:31 PM »

I'm not saying there's no difference.  I'm just saying there's still room for improvement with the Democrats as well.  :)

Which is why it was irrelevant.   :D

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 07:06:13 PM »

Which is why it was irrelevant.   :D

Okay, just as long as people don't think I'm supporting the Republicans.  :) 

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 07:26:04 PM »
When did I say that I am a Republican? All I said was that I support way more of their ideas than Democrat ideas... except for gay marriage. I don't see either party committed to gay rights. So, I tend to vote Republican because although I consider myself Libertarian, we have a two-party system. Also, I refuse to just let the religious right continue to have its own way within the Republican party. Many people who would otherwise agree with many Republican ideals are turned off by Conservative Christians.

Dissent within the party is especially necessary now.

doesnt matter wgat you want.  the religious right owns the party.

cause, without it, the repubs have NO base.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 08:48:46 PM »
cause seriously, 51% of the voters in this country are not psycho conservative christians

yes, the dems...

bridget

• crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 08:56:27 PM »
bludevil, could you give an example of a social issue you're republican on?  it's hard for me to think of something.  I tend to think of social isues as linked, so it would be hard for me to be conservative on one thing and not be conservative on something else.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 04:52:54 AM »
political parties change over time.

the repubs are no longer about limited govt  or financial responsibility.

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 07:20:20 AM »
Although I consider myself a Democrat, I think it is somewhat myopic to hold contempt for a gay republican, elections and our goverment are not based on only one issue. Think about the candidates being put forth for the midterms by the Dem Party: Casey in PA is anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage, the same could be said about Ford in TN, and look at incumbents elected recently like Salazar in CO, or not so recently like both Nelsons. Where I am going with this is that parties are a spectrum of ideas and personally I would support a more moderate republican over any of the Dem senators I mentioned above. I have several friends that are gay republicans and at first I did not understand but they explain it easily by stating that elections and govt are not one issue, they are pro-life and believe in limited govt. therefore they believe they are better off supporting Republican candidates rather than Democrats. Moreover, I agree with them that dissent from within is sometimes more effective in changing the system.

Also, I will echo the comments of how none of the Democratic leaders will step up and support gay rights unless it helps them. People forget that the President that established "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (which has caused the military to be worse for gay people) was the darling of the Democrats Bill Clinton.

PS I believe the Dem Party is better on gay issues than the Rep Party, I am just pointing out several reasons why criticizing gay republicans allegiances just because they are gay is just silly.