Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Check out Washburn  (Read 1538 times)

Ichabod

• View Profile
Check out Washburn
« on: February 14, 2004, 10:42:44 AM »
Its in Topeka Kansas. I was just there the other day. It is so nice and they areonly improving it. The people there are great too. I'm so excited about it I can't wait to get my acceptance back. Its going to be the best school in the region soon. :)

horacegreeley

• View Profile
Re: Check out Washburn
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 03:03:18 PM »
I take it from your moniker that you live in Topeka?  Is it really nice or are you just joking around?  I doubt it will ever overtake KU simply because it's private.

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 03:14:57 PM »
I applied to Washburn and it is one of my top 5 choices. 

The school offers a lot of value for the money.  I don't think you'll go wrong with Washburn and I agree that they are positioning themselves to be a top-notch school.

kable

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 12:44:25 AM »
I'm thinking very seriously about going there largely because of the cost. I'm interested in knowing why you both feel the school is positioning itself to be a top-notch school. I'm aware of their family law program, but what other strengths exist. I'm also interested in hearing what topeka is like. I never thought I'd choose to live in Kansas.

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 12:43:44 PM »
Is your LSAT higher than mine?  If so, don't bother applying.  You really shouldn't go.  It's not a very good school.  Stay out.  ;-)

My eye is on Washburn for several reasons.  First, I have a family and quality of life is important.  Places I can choose to live that are within commuting distance to the school provide excellent elementary schools for my kids, the cost of living is reasonable, the weather is better than Wisconsin (almost anywhere has better weather than my current home in Wisconsin), it's LSAT median numbers are within my range, and the cost of the school is relatively affordable.  Kansas also has some fairly liberal rules for establishing residence, which can make tuition even more affordable.

A friend of my used to live in Topeka and he knows the area extremely well and highly recommended it.

Now... if you are young and single (not an old geezer like me in his mid 30's), you'll find some terrific nightlife a couple hours east in Kansas City area.

kable

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 02:23:38 PM »
Thanks, that answers my questions about Topeka, but what about the school?