Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What study materials should I purchase to study for the Lsat?  (Read 411 times)

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
What study materials should I purchase to study for the Lsat?
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:39:02 AM »
I'm not sure if this question was asked in an earlier thread, but I can't afford to pay for an expensive Lsat prep course. So I'm currently in the process of purchasing Lsat prep study books. The only problem is that I don't know which book(s) to purchase. If any of you guys have any recommendations please let me know. Thank you in advance....By the way, this law school admissions process is quite stressful.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: What study materials should I purchase to study for the Lsat?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:53:31 AM »
The question is not what to purchase, but what to sell. And the answer is YOUR SOUL! BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!  ;D

But seriously, get your hands on many preptests and do them. You'll learn as you do more and more. You can buy the most recent ones from LSAC at $7 a pop, and you can buy books of 10 each here:

http://www.amazon.com/Actual-Official-LSAT-PrepTests-Lsat/dp/0942639634/ref=pd_sim_b_5/002-8586955-4561625?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Actual-Official-LSAT-Preptests/dp/0942639898/sr=8-2/qid=1160984930/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-8586955-4561625?ie=UTF8&s=books
http://www.amazon.com/More-Actual-Official-Preptests-Lsat/dp/0942639804/ref=pd_sim_b_2/002-8586955-4561625?ie=UTF8

I'd also recommend PowerScore's Logic Games bible, here:

http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT-Logic-Games-Bible/dp/097212960X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/002-8586955-4561625?ie=UTF8

I read this bible before I did any practice tests, and it served me well. The Logical Reasoning bible by the same company is also OK, but I don't think it helped me all that much personally, except for drilling LR questions that were in the book. Their questions are (mostly) real questions from tests, so you'll encounter the same questions later when you're doing practice tests. This is a good thing to test if you've learned or not, but bad if you remember the answer and don't remember why it's the answer.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 03:54:58 AM »
Oh yeah, the bibles are sometimes (usually?) cheaper from PowerScore's website:

http://www.powerscore.com/
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

SBToLaw

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:55:21 AM »
Logical Reasoning Bible (Powerscore)
Logic Games Bible (Powerscore)
Ultimate Setups (Powerscore)
10 Real LSATs (LSAC)
10 More Real LSATs (LSAC)
The Next 10 Real LSATs (LSAC)
Individual LSATs #40-49
Nova's LSAT prepguide

Check amazon.com for all of these.

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 04:19:20 AM »
lsat superprep, from amazon or lsac.org. the single best book on the market.
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 04:31:55 AM »

I respectfully disagree. The material is sparse and the explanations are somewhat underwhelming. But, of course, diffferent things work for different people.

However, the one truth in LSAT preparation is that the more real tests you do, the better you'll get - your times will go down, you'll get the hang of the questions, and you'll find yourself answering the easy ones without even thinking.

I do believe there is a such thing as overpreparation, though. Personally, I only practiced on about 25 tests. This was mostly due to time constraints, but I don't think I would have went over 35-40 given unlimited time. This is just the way I work, but I find that after some (unfortunately hard to define) point, I saturate and then begin to get diminishing returns. My studying curve looks something like this:

Improvement
           |
           ------------------
              # of practice tests

(Complicated, huh?)  ;D

LSN</

Bouzie1982

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 09:37:19 AM »
I bet if you wait until after september's scores are released a ton of us will be selling our stuff online here for a decent price...

ThatGuy84

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 09:55:21 AM »

I respectfully disagree. The material is sparse and the explanations are somewhat underwhelming. But, of course, diffferent things work for different people.

However, the one truth in LSAT preparation is that the more real tests you do, the better you'll get - your times will go down, you'll get the hang of the questions, and you'll find yourself answering the easy ones without even thinking.

I do believe there is a such thing as overpreparation, though. Personally, I only practiced on about 25 tests. This was mostly due to time constraints, but I don't think I would have went over 35-40 given unlimited time. This is just the way I work, but I find that after some (unfortunately hard to define) point, I saturate and then begin to get diminishing returns. My studying curve looks something like this:

# of practice tests
           |
           ------------------
               Improvement

(Complicated, huh?)  ;D

It's complicated when you get your axes wrong...EE major...really?

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 11:46:54 AM »

It's complicated when you get your axes wrong...EE major...really?

It was late. It's fixed now. However, I know I should be shot. In fact, I'm going to kill myself right now.  :P

LSN</