Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How does my GPA boosting plan sound???  (Read 724 times)

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
How does my GPA boosting plan sound???
« on: October 15, 2006, 11:36:56 PM »
Ok so I'm in the final stretch of undergrad. I'm entering my last semester senior year and I'm registering for classes tonight online. I'm roughly at a 3.54 GPA overall. I'm finishing up the last few classes I have for my double major in psychology and crimnal justice. Those classes I can consider As.  :)

But I have this plan that if law schools just take your GPA from your undergrad and throw that into the index (keeping in mind each school rates the undergrad as well) why not try to boost my GPA with anything I possibly can. In addition to the 3 psychs and 1 criminal justice class I have to take I was thinking of taking a very basic 3 credit macroeconomics class with an easy professor, a very basic 3 credit course in sociology with an easy professor, and maybe a gym class. I've really calculated it all out and I think with relatively all As I can bring my GPA up to a 3.6 when I graduate. When I say "easy" professors I'm speaking based off of numerous ratings compliment of Ratemyprofessor.com  I would never go and take extra courses with extremely tough professors that would hurt rather than help my GPA. So does anyone else see this as a negative plan or any opinions/comments??? :-\
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

Lex Luthor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How does my GPA boosting plan sound???
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 11:40:13 PM »
It sounds like a horrible plan.  How about attempting to learn things and, you know, improve yourself instead?
Especially Lex, whom everyone knows is one of the biggest flame/trolls on LSD.

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 11:45:04 PM »
It sounds like a horrible plan.  How about attempting to learn things and, you know, improve yourself instead?

I have the rest of my life to learn stuff for myself. But right now I'm playing the game. I got the rest of my life to learn things and improve myself, but I only have 1 semester left to make an impact on a GPA that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I'm just playin the game. Law schools want the numbers and although I know the LSAT will be favored heavily, I'm still going to try and boost my GPA as much as possible. It's not like I have taken gym courses or basic intro classes my entire college career. I already have a solid foundation with a nearly perfect 3.98 in Crimnal Justice and a 3.7 in psychology majors. Just tryin to get that overall GPA up from a 3.5ish to a solid 3.6     :P
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

Balleeoka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 11:49:40 PM »

God forbid someone takes a class with a motive other than learning. Unfortunately, unlike you armchair critics, some of us have to live in reality.

While I disagree with Lex's reasoning, I would shy away from taking courses that are obvious GPA boosters in my final semester. If an adcomm sees that you have tried to boost up your GPA with 'coaster' courses, that may negate the minimal GPA increase you stand to gain. Then again, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, none of us do!

For schools that index, I anticipate the GPA gain would minimally increase your index, and the rigor of the courses will be clear when your file is reviewed in depth. For schools that do not index, the lack of rigor in the courses (relative to the rest of your file) will be quite visible.

I don't think the risk of how an adcomm would interpret is worth the potential gain.

parsley

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 11:52:36 PM »
A Dean's Certification form often asks deans to rate the difficulty of your courses.

Balleeoka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 11:54:04 PM »
A Dean's Certification form often asks deans to rate the difficulty of your courses.

Hmm, I've never heard of this. Then again, I've never had to ask for my Dean's certification. I can't see how that could be measured both objectively and consistently.

Balleeoka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 11:55:54 PM »
Would bumping up to 3.6 put you over any medians at your top choice schools where you would otherwise be below it? That's the only scenario in which I would consider it to be justifiable.

parsley

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 11:57:28 PM »
Go to "Supplemental Documents" on some of the LSAC applications and you can see schools' Dean Certification threads.

Balleeoka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 11:59:54 PM »
Go to "Supplemental Documents" on some of the LSAC applications and you can see schools' Dean Certification threads.

I'm still curious as to how it could be measured in any meaningful way.

Phone-a-thon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 12:04:24 AM »
Uh, you have gym classes that count for a grade?  Seriously?
At my advanced age I like anything they will let me ogle it from a far and does not call the cops