Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory 1L taking Q's and perhaps giving A's  (Read 883 times)

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
Emory 1L taking Q's and perhaps giving A's
« on: October 14, 2006, 11:58:22 PM »
Fire away.
Emory 3L.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
Re: Emory 1L taking Q's and perhaps giving A's
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 12:06:24 AM »
If I am looking to practice in San Diego, would it do me any good to even apply to Emory.I am speaking for future job prospects?
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 12:10:49 AM »
emory is great on the east coast, the west is not as good. If you are considering a tier one (i.e. 30 - 50) west coast law school i would recommend to stick with that. I have a few classmates from USC, berkeley, and stanford, but they have DC and NYC aspirations.
Emory 3L.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 12:32:30 AM »
how are you liking the student body there? Atlanta? The facilities?

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 10:33:09 AM »
1. The Student Body - Emory does a great job of putting together a diverse mix of students. Most of the people I know took off sometime between undergrad and law school and most have done some pretty incredible things in between. The class is no more competitive than any other school I suppose, but everyone here is bright and very serious about their education. Like most private schools you have your trust fund babies, but they're not that bothersome.

2. Atlanta - Atlanta is an amazing city. It is the business and cultural hub of the south. There are amazing restaurants, shows, venues, festivals, and everything you could think of. It is not urban like DC or chicago, it definitely is the definition of urban sprawl, but Emory is located near everything there is to do. Yah traffic sucks but the job opportunities seem to be pretty abundant, especially for Emory grads.

3. Facilities - The library is nice, plenty of studying areas and such. The main law school is all right, the classrooms are a bit cold and boring. The main area where the students congregate is a bit blah as well (its called the bus station). But Bacardi plaza (a gift from the son, who graduated from emory law, of the Bacardi rum guy) is pretty nice and some organization usually has a keg out there at least once a week.

Hope that helps!
Emory 3L.

cejeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 10:39:12 AM »
I'm so wound up from Sept 30th I don't know what to ask.

Is 33 too old to start?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 10:41:29 AM »
I'm so wound up from Sept 30th I don't know what to ask.

Is 33 too old to start?

nope.

wheres the best area to live to be near the school, in a nice area ,but not surrounded by undergrads?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

cejeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 10:47:06 AM »
Okay I got one for you (BTW thank you B.A. for saying I'm not too old) .

My goal is to be an attorney with the SEC (not the football conference, lol) or maybe an Assistant District Attorney in Chicago, Las Vegas or Denver.

Are T3 & T4 schools gonna get this done for me?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 11:03:34 AM »
Okay I got one for you (BTW thank you B.A. for saying I'm not too old) .

My goal is to be an attorney with the SEC (not the football conference, lol) or maybe an Assistant District Attorney in Chicago, Las Vegas or Denver.

Are T3 & T4 schools gonna get this done for me?

id imagine if you wanted to work in Vegas, UNLV would be a good choice...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 11:51:44 AM »
1. Where to live - Most of the student body lives off campus (Emory will most likely not have housing for grad students next year.) The most popular apartment complex is Post Briarcliff which is just up the street from the school. They do not allow undergrads to live there so from what I have heard its pretty nice, a bit pricey, but new and a good location. There are plenty apartment complexes around the school, most are not cheap, but not overwhelmingly expensive. A lot of students live in the midtown and highlands area (the trendy part of the city) obviously it will be more expensive to live there, but the commute is not terrible and you are close to everything. The cost of housing in atlanta is below average for a city its size and I have not heard of any anybody having problems finding housing.

2. The Assistant DA job in chicago could be tough if you are not coming from HYS, U.Chicago, or NW, or any of the other big boys. I would agree with angel that if you are looking to work in LV and are considering a T3 or T4, UNLV would be your best bet, but remember DA jobs are not easy to come by, there are a lot of politics involved and just going to a school in that area will not cut it. Obviously good grades are a must and networking your ass off is necessary. Emory has a field placement program with the SEC during your second and third year, so I would say definitely consider Emory. I know people who have participated in the field placement program and they have loved it.
Emory 3L.