Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help! Urgent Advice Requested  (Read 974 times)

iluvcats1977

• LSAT Dec '04, 3.36 UGPA, 3.48 MBA Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iluvcats
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help! Urgent Advice Requested
« on: February 13, 2004, 06:11:19 PM »
Hi everyone.  I got my first rejection letter today from NKU, and I expect that my LSAT score was the deciding factor.  I scored a 147.  My question is this:  I want to apply to a few more schools.  I have historically performed poorly on standardized tests, be it the SAT, ACT, and the GMAT (I have an MBA with a very good GPA, although I scored poorly on that exam as well).  How should I present this to the schools?  Is it enough to simply say I've scored poorly historically, or should I go more into detail, like I scored XXX on the GMAT but graduated with a high GPA, indicating my ability to succeed despite a poor test score?  Do I need to include official documentation of other exam scores to back up what I am saying?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help! Urgent Advice Requested
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 06:29:27 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I would discuss, historically, your numbers and then your performance in those programs.  If you have documentation, or if you can make copies of it, it might be worth it to include it.  Also, and this is just an opinion, you may want to consider having on of your letters of recommendation address it.  If one of your profs from your masters program can testify that your scores were less than, but your performance was stellar, that might help.
Good Luck!

iluvcats1977

• LSAT Dec '04, 3.36 UGPA, 3.48 MBA Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iluvcats
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 05:19:04 PM »
Thanks, Kattie!  I have requested a copy of my score report from the GMAT and will use it in my apps.  I have one more question for you (or anyone who reads this post)...would it be a bad idea for me to follow up with the other 2 schools I applied to last month with the GMAT documentation and my argument that I am historically a poor test taker?  Or should I wait and see if I'm waitlisted to include the info (if I don't get flat out rejected)?  I included something in my apps the first time around about working full time and attending night school impacted my LSAT -- I don't want to sound desperate, but want to make sure I lay out all the facts.  Looking back I wish I would've included all this the first time around -- I'm kicking myself now.  Thanks!

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 06:00:20 PM »
My opinion would be to send the extra information now, before they get a chance to waitlist you.  Also, it might be better received if it doesn't appear to be an afterthought in response to being waitlisted.
Good Luck