Re: Canada troops battle 10-foot Afghan marijuana plants
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 05:59:12 PM »
This should go in News but I felt it best to share here.  ;D

Canada troops battle 10-foot Afghan marijuana plants
POSTED: 5:12 p.m. EDT, October 12, 2006
Adjust font size:
Decrease fontDecrease font
Enlarge fontEnlarge font

OTTAWA, Canada (Reuters) -- Canadian troops fighting Taliban militants in Afghanistan have stumbled across an unexpected and potent enemy -- almost impenetrable forests of marijuana plants 10 feet tall.

General Rick Hillier, chief of the Canadian defense staff, said Thursday that Taliban fighters were using the forests as cover. In response, the crew of at least one armored car had camouflaged their vehicle with marijuana.

"The challenge is that marijuana plants absorb energy, heat very readily. It's very difficult to penetrate with thermal devices. ... And as a result you really have to be careful that the Taliban don't dodge in and out of those marijuana forests," he said in a speech in Ottawa, Canada.

"We tried burning them with white phosphorous -- it didn't work. We tried burning them with diesel -- it didn't work. The plants are so full of water right now ... that we simply couldn't burn them," he said.

Even successful incineration had its drawbacks.

"A couple of brown plants on the edges of some of those [forests] did catch on fire. But a section of soldiers that was downwind from that had some ill effects and decided that was probably not the right course of action," Hiller said dryly.

One soldier told him later: "Sir, three years ago before I joined the army, I never thought I'd say 'That damn marijuana'."

i'm reminded of my last trip to India and a certain weed that grew everywhere on the streets...

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 06:00:14 PM »
Don't you mean "last trip to BC"?

:D

TheCanadian

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 06:41:24 PM »
LOL...cant seem to tell the diff these days between the two places.

FossilJ

• View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 06:41:55 PM »
 :D :D :D

TheCanadian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 06:44:05 PM »
When I was in India last, it was the summer of 96 (before I started grade 5) and my mom's husband at the time chopped off a bush of the stuff that was growing just outside the house and brouht it to the inside courtyard of the family home and we all took turns taking pics by it. Then when we came back home to Canada and developed the pics my mom detroyed them.

FossilJ

• View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 06:44:56 PM »
hahahahaahahahahah

Yeah, seriously, in some places, drugs are the easiest thing to get in the world.  That's because they're just plants.  Pure and simple.

TheCanadian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 07:02:54 PM »
true that