Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US GPA Inflation  (Read 12522 times)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: US GPA Inflation
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 04:41:27 PM »
Why is that a good reason to eliminate the practice?

It gives an unfair advantage to those who are able to earn 4.0+ GPA's.  When adcomms are deciding between someone who has a 4.0 at a school where GPA's are capped at 4.0 and someone whose GPA is 4.2, it gives the impression that the 4.2 candidate is better qualified.  It's more than possible that someone who gets an A at a school that has A as its highest grade could have gotten an A+ if it had been offered.  Offering some people the opportunity to get an A+ and others just the opportunity to get an A gives an unfair advantage to the first person.

Too bad.  Schools differ.  Go to a school where they hand out A+s.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 04:43:53 PM »
Why is that a good reason to eliminate the practice?

It gives an unfair advantage to those who are able to earn 4.0+ GPA's.  When adcomms are deciding between someone who has a 4.0 at a school where GPA's are capped at 4.0 and someone whose GPA is 4.2, it gives the impression that the 4.2 candidate is better qualified.  It's more than possible that someone who gets an A at a school that has A as its highest grade could have gotten an A+ if it had been offered.  Offering some people the opportunity to get an A+ and others just the opportunity to get an A gives an unfair advantage to the first person.

Too bad.  Schools differ.  Go to a school where they hand out A+s.

Meh, my school's prestige among adcomms more than makes up for the disparity in grading with other schools, so I'm not worried. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 04:46:35 PM »
So then what the @#!* is the point of bitching about it?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 04:50:22 PM »
So then what the @#!* is the point of bitching about it?

Sensitive much?
Yale.Law.School.2010

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 04:57:03 PM »
Not at all.  Your bitching was just pointless.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 08:28:06 PM »
Not at all.  Your bitching was just pointless.

I agree with Baboon.

TheWESTWESTWEST

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2007, 12:41:45 AM »
Concordia works on a 4.3 scale (90%+ is an A+ although many profs refuse to give them) and the average GPA is 2.7.  I think it's really particular to the university, some are big on inflation others push their average down.

The average GPA at Harvard is 3.4, granted they have a body of exceedingly qualified, hard working students but that is still very high.

Let's be realistic here. Harvard is in a different class than Concordia.

WHAT!? Concordia told me they were better than Harvard when I applied there! Liars!

Hahaha!

For real though, I'm at Concordia in Political Science (with the crazy activists...) and I love the school, but I will say that comparing the average Concordia grades to average Harvard grades is erroneous. Harvard is full of extremely hard working (not always intelligent, though...) students who all had 4.0 GPA's in High School, perfect SAT scores, ect. When these kids get into Harvard, they obviously aren't going to start slacking off. If Concordia was full of Harvard kids, Concordia's median GPA would be 3.4+ as well. Its the quality of the students, not the grade deflation. I don't mean that as an insuilt either, because Concordia has a vibrant and exciting student body. It just isn't a student body that is as academically excellent as a place like Harvard, which has an undergrad admit rate of 9% (!?!).

Concordia (and other Montreal schools like UQAM, and to a lesser extent UdeM) are basically like New York City's CUNY system--large, diverse, public universitiies that are not exceedingly dfficult to get into (average incoming CEGEP grades are 82-85%). As such, you will obviously get lower grades at Concordia, UQAM, and UdeM, than at Harvard not due to grade deflation, but due to the students there. As I said, I am a hardcore Concordia lover and I am saying this, so I'm not hating.

It is also very possible to get a high GPA at Concordia, McGill, UdeM, or any other Montreal university. I have a 3.9 right now (not to toot my own horn, of course...) and I did it by working hard. That's it.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2007, 02:05:42 PM »
Concordia works on a 4.3 scale (90%+ is an A+ although many profs refuse to give them) and the average GPA is 2.7.  I think it's really particular to the university, some are big on inflation others push their average down.

The average GPA at Harvard is 3.4, granted they have a body of exceedingly qualified, hard working students but that is still very high.

WHAT!? Concordia told me they were better than Harvard when I applied there! Liars!

Hahaha!

For real though, I'm at Concordia in Political Science (with the crazy activists...) and I love the school, but I will say that comparing the average Concordia grades to average Harvard grades is erroneous. Harvard is full of extremely hard working (not always intelligent, though...) students who all had 4.0 GPA's in High School, perfect SAT scores, ect. When these kids get into Harvard, they obviously aren't going to start slacking off. If Concordia was full of Harvard kids, Concordia's median GPA would be 3.4+ as well. Its the quality of the students, not the grade deflation. I don't mean that as an insuilt either, because Concordia has a vibrant and exciting student body. It just isn't a student body that is as academically excellent as a place like Harvard, which has an undergrad admit rate of 9% (!?!).

Concordia (and other Montreal schools like UQAM, and to a lesser extent UdeM) are basically like New York City's CUNY system--large, diverse, public universitiies that are not exceedingly dfficult to get into (average incoming CEGEP grades are 82-85%). As such, you will obviously get lower grades at Concordia, UQAM, and UdeM, than at Harvard not due to grade deflation, but due to the students there. As I said, I am a hardcore Concordia lover and I am saying this, so I'm not hating.

It is also very possible to get a high GPA at Concordia, McGill, UdeM, or any other Montreal university. I have a 3.9 right now (not to toot my own horn, of course...) and I did it by working hard. That's it.

Meh, now nearing the end of the cycle I couldn't care less about grade inflation/deflation. I've come to realize it's probably very small thing for admission committees.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

TheWESTWESTWEST

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2007, 09:22:13 PM »

Hahaha!

Meh, now nearing the end of the cycle I couldn't care less about grade inflation/deflation. I've come to realize it's probably very small thing for admission committees.

I agree.

I feel that alot of undergrad students dont give enough credit to admissions boards. People who work on admissions for law school, or any other graduate school, POUR over admissions. They don't just browse over it, see that you have a 3.2, and immediately throw your application into the "Rejected" pile. Many variables play into the selection commitee, such as undergrad school attended, major, ect. "Grade Deflation" is usually just an excuse people use to argue why their top choice didn't admit them.