Law School Discussion

lsatismylifenow

« on: October 12, 2006, 07:44:48 PM »

Re: Do you need to?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 08:38:42 PM »
I think if you craft your PS to talk about your background, and how it leads to a particular area of law you want to pursue, you can fit in a sentence or two about a program at the law school you're applying to and how it aligns perfectly with your goals...

Or create a whole separate "This is why I'm applying to XXXX" if you want to sound like a second grader - or someone who took a LR&W professor seriously when they said lawyers should use basic and simplistic language  :P

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 09:10:49 PM »
I'm curious to know this, too ... I was kinda just planning on writing something like "I would like to attend ______ school b/c _________" - a small paragraph thrown in there so they feel special - less effort into the schools I'm less interested in attending, of course.

Imelda Marcos

• If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 09:28:58 PM »
I wouldn't do anything that looks like an afterthought.  I have heard many admissions people say they hate it when people write ..and thats why i want to go to such and such.  They know exactly what we are doing.  I agree with the above.  Form your essay toward a specific area of law that the school specializes in, and then mention that program at that school, and how it makes sense for you to go there for those reasons.  It sounds less like you are plugging in their name into a blank spafe in your essay, and more personal.

Imelda Marcos

• If the "Choo" fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 09:41:37 PM »
Yea, I'm in the same boat sort of. Or not necessarily interested in the types of law the schools I want to go to specialize in.  But this is a game to a certain extent.  They are not penalizing you per se, for not tailoring your essay to them, however I belive it helps if you do personalize.   

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 09:47:22 PM »
I have heard many admissions people say they hate it when people write ..and thats why i want to go to such and such.  They know exactly what we are doing.  I agree with the above.  Form your essay toward a specific area of law that the school specializes in, and then mention that program at that school, and how it makes sense for you to go there for those reasons.  It sounds less like you are plugging in their name into a blank spafe in your essay, and more personal.

What if you just don't care what area of law they specialize in or have no interest in it?

I want to go to law school. I don't know what kind of law I want to practice. Why should I be disadvantaged for that?

Yes, I agree.  I don't see why I should be disadvantaged for being open to possibilities.  I don't know enough about the law to choose a specialization yet, and I don't think a school should expect that.

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 09:57:32 PM »

There's a simple solution.

Don't talk about law or law school AT ALL in your personal statement.

I like this approach very much.  Is it at all risky?

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 07:03:47 AM »
In essence, it's a very subtle jab at those of you here [no one in particular] who are applying with "OMG IM A WHITE PERSON I DID COMMUNITY SERVICE ONCE MY GPA IS 3.7 I WANT TO SAVE THE WORLD PICK ME PICK ME!"

that's the last time i let you read my personal statement

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 01:02:45 PM »
that's the last time i let you read my personal statement

:D :D :D

how apropos.
jesus mocking me as i await my LSAT score.