Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hmmm, what about when white people are less than 50% of the population  (Read 7068 times)

lindseyl

Re: Hmmm, what about when white people are less than 50% of the population
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 01:50:41 PM »
BP...I don't really count that as a good source of information. It's a blog, full of opinions that have been spun to meet the opinion of the author. Probably wouldn't hold much validity in court.

WHAT?!?!?!

everyone knows blogs are 100% accurate and non-biased!

EXACTLY! HAHA

But still, it seems tons more persuasive than listing the web page of the Sheriff's office and using that as evidence of the makeup of the power base in the city. 

I gave those links because it answered the question given. They wanted information on the school board, plus city government, etc. I gave it. The blog wasn't persuasive to me because as soon as I figured out how opinionated it was, I quit reading it.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 02:56:53 PM »
BP...I don't really count that as a good source of information. It's a blog, full of opinions that have been spun to meet the opinion of the author. Probably wouldn't hold much validity in court.

WHAT?!?!?!

everyone knows blogs are 100% accurate and non-biased!

EXACTLY! HAHA

But still, it seems tons more persuasive than listing the web page of the Sheriff's office and using that as evidence of the makeup of the power base in the city. 

I gave those links because it answered the question given. They wanted information on the school board, plus city government, etc. I gave it. The blog wasn't persuasive to me because as soon as I figured out how opinionated it was, I quit reading it.

I see.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 06:53:34 PM »
Who is the minority then?

What about a place like LA or Miami or San Antone.

in a place majority hispanic, are whites the minority?

these things will be relevant in the coming years...

What, you mean like South Africa?

Good one, Blue.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 10:03:47 AM »
some interesting info.   http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/american_community_survey_acs/007748.html

White Alone, Not Hispanic

* The median age for non-Hispanic whites was 40.4 years.

* Married-couple families comprised nearly 53 percent of non-Hispanic white households.* Additionally, 9 percent of households were maintained by a woman with no husband present and 28 percent in which the householder lived alone.*

* About 2.4 million non-Hispanic white women between the ages of 15 and 50 gave birth in the year prior to the survey ó 78 percent of those were married.*

* Nearly 6 percent of the non-Hispanic white household population age five years and over spoke a language other than English at home.

* Among non-Hispanic whites age 25 and over, 89 percent were at least high school graduates and 30 percent had a bachelorís degree or higher.

Black or African-American Alone

* The median age for black or African-American was 31.3 years.*

* Married-couple families comprised nearly 29 percent of black or African-American households. About 30 percent of households were maintained by a woman with no husband present and in 31 percent the householder lived alone.

* About 600,000 black or African-American women between the ages of 15 and 50 gave birth in the year prior to the survey ó 35 percent of those were married.

* About 7 percent of the black or African-American household population five years and over spoke a language other than English at home.

* Among blacks or African-Americans ages 25 and over, 80 percent were at least high school graduates and 17 percent had a bachelorís degree or higher.

American Indian and Alaska Native Alone

* The median age for American Indian and Alaska Natives was 31.9 years.

* Married-couple families comprised about 40 percent of American Indian and Alaska Native households. About 20 percent of households were maintained by a woman with no husband present and in 25 percent the householder lived alone.

* About 44,000 American Indian and Alaska Native women between the ages of 15 and 50 gave birth in the year prior to the survey ó 48 percent of those were married.

* About 26 percent of the American Indian and Alaska Native household population five years and over spoke a language other than English at home.

* Among American Indian and Alaska Natives age 25 and over, 76 percent were at least high school graduates and about 14 percent had a bachelorís degree or higher.

Asian Alone

* The median age for Asians was 35.1 years.

* Married-couple families comprised about 59 percent of Asian households. Among the Asian households, 9 percent were maintained by a woman with no husband present and 20 percent in which the householder lived alone.*

* About 218,000 Asian women between the ages of 15 and 50 gave birth in the year prior to the survey ó 89 percent of those were married.

* Nearly 76 percent of the Asian household population five years and over spoke a language other than English at home.

* Among Asians age 25 and over, nearly 86 percent were at least high school graduates and 49 percent had a bachelorís degree or higher.

(These tables can also be viewed for many ancestries within population groups, such as Japanese. Among Japanese age 25 and over, 93 percent were at least high school graduates and 44 percent had a bachelorís degree or higher.)

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander Alone

* The median age for Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islanders was 30.6 years.*

* Married-couple families comprised 50 percent of Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander households.* Among the Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander households, about 15 percent were maintained by a woman with no husband present and in 20 percent the householder lived alone.

* About 7,000 Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander women between the ages of 15 and 50 gave birth in the year prior to the survey, 77 percent of whom were married.*

* About 40 percent of the Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander household population five years and over spoke a language other than English at home.

* Among Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islanders age 25 and over, 83 percent were at least high school graduates and 15 percent had a bachelorís degree or higher.

Hispanic

* The median age for Hispanics was 27.2 years.

* Married-couple families comprised 49 percent of Hispanic households.* Among Hispanic households, 19 percent were maintained by a woman with no husband present and in about 16 percent the householder lived alone.

* About 900,000 Hispanic women between the ages of 15 and 50 gave birth in the year prior to the survey, 66 percent of whom were married.

* About 78 percent of the Hispanic household population five years and over spoke a language other than English at home.

* About 60 percent of Hispanics ages 25 and over were at least high school graduates and 12 percent had a bachelorís degree or higher. Among Cubans age 25 and over, 73 percent were at least high school graduates and 24 percent had a bachelorís degree or higher.
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 04:26:15 PM »
Holdings of bachelor degrees

Asian: 49%
White: 30%
Cuban: 24%
African American: 17%
Native Hawaiian: 15%
Indian and Alaskan: 14%
Hispanic: 12%
Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

prolesurge

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 10:02:06 PM »
Holdings of bachelor degrees

Asian: 49%
White: 30%
Cuban: 24%
African American: 17%
Native Hawaiian: 15%
Indian and Alaskan: 14%
Hispanic: 12%

Those are some depressing figures.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 10:48:25 PM »
how so?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

prolesurge

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 11:20:28 PM »
how so?

Well, looking at the percentage of minorities who have a bachelor's degree is depressing, especially when compared to the percentage of white and asian peoples with bachelor's degrees.

((A))P

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 03:53:12 PM »
i find the whole minority/majority discourse to be skewed and i resent being considered a minority. For one people of African descent make up the majority of the population in the Western hemisphere.And the majority of the world is not white while white people control a disproportionate amount of wealth and resources. i prefer to associate myself with the majority of the non-white world and it is from within that context that i reject being labeled a so-called minority. Minority is also demeaning in the same sense that "Third World" is demeaning, it implies a sense of inferiority regardless if its intened to or not.

tzip

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 03:58:39 PM »
huh? how does minority imply inferiority?
blacks, for example, are a minority in the U.S. even if they're a majority in other parts of the world. That's a physical fact, what's offensive about saying that?