Law School Discussion

Anyone Here Attend, Visited or Know a Lot About Loyola,Pepperdine, USC,UCLA,USD?

Stop procrastinating and get back to writing your brief.

only when you stop procrastinating and reading threads

sno

• run from this law bitches
    • AOL Instant Messenger - snobord99999
    • View Profile
Stop procrastinating and get back to writing your brief.

only when you stop procrastinating and reading threads

lol...one person procrastinating on their brief telling another person procrastinating on their brief to stop procrastinating lol

so overall, what neighborhoods around Loyola would you guys recommend and not recommend? I ask because Im lookin up apts on craigslist and have found some pretty cheap ones, but am not sure whether they districts/neighborhoods they are in are good places to live for a college student.

UCLA = not cheap
USC= cheaper but still not $650!

EXACTLY!!!  $650 if you live with a bunch of roommates.   Bottom line, USC's neighborhood is not that bad...unless you are from a completely rural area you'll adjust.  Samething for Loyola.

Rent: Depending on what you want, but figure for a one bedroom...$950 minimum.  Not a studio and not shared. 

The neighborhoods around Loyola really depend on what you're used to...Some people think that Koreatown is super dangerous...I don't.  I think it's fine.  If you want something more upscale try Park La Brea, if you have a higher thresh hold for life check out Koreatown...It's all relative.

I'm an undergrad at 'SC, and it's not as intense as discoverer's making it out to be. I come from a pretty suburban neighborhood back in Maryland, and it's really simple out here: don't walk alone at night. I thought that was a general rule for major urban centers, and if people stuck to that then the 2 a.m. crime alert robberies would take care of 80% of what we hear about. An alum told me that sticking north of campus (where everyone lives/the direction toward downtown) is the safest, and that's been true. USC has TONS of alternatives to walking alone at night, (trams, campus cruiser, dps) and as someone who doesn't have a bike and has lived about 1 mile north of campus since sophomore year, I've never had a problem.  :)

mufich

• View Profile
    • Email
I completely agree with DanieJo. I came from a small suburban town in Northern California, and have been very safe for the past 4 years. Use the services the school provides for you whenever possible. Other than that, as long as you are alert, aware, and not walking alone at night, you should be fine.

Hurricane Lazlo

• When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
    • L.S.N.
I have never been to CA but am interested in working in LA.  I know that these are the best SoCal schools and was looking for some first hand knowledge about them.  How are the professors, the facilities, the neighborhoods they are in, the other students, the social life in general, the classes, is it easy to find housing, where is the typical housing, and how is each viewed in LA by the big law firms.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Loyola produces a lot of the most successful lawyers in LA.
Other than that, the rankings tell most of the story.

loyola AND pepperdine over usd. very bold. but i guess you really  <3 LA

I would pick:

usc

ucla

Loyola

Pepperdine

USD

in this order which does not necessarily reflect the rankings

What makes USD better than Pepperdine?

Also, if you're a current student of USD can you please tell me where most law students live? on campus vs off? if off, where in the city? very close to the school? or is it primarly a commuter school?

Thanks!

sno

• run from this law bitches
    • AOL Instant Messenger - snobord99999
    • View Profile
i think most law schools are commuter schools...but, yes, i'd definitely call usd a commuter school...as far as neighborhoods, my preference (in order): la jolla/utc, mission valley, clairemont..i'd have more info for u, but i'm super tired right now and will have to end it short...let me/us know if u have more questions...someone will answer it