Law School Discussion

What's your 10 year goal out of law school?

obamacon

• View Profile
Re: What's your 10 year goal out of law school?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 12:55:20 PM »
Me toooooo!  I was just discussing this with my mom yesterday, who told me that admissions people (pre-consultant).  Don't make very much money.  Any idea what the salary would be?

They’re pretty far down the totem pole even though we're groveling at their feet right now. Think lower than the newest faculty. I only know one person in admissions and she started at around 30k. However, she doesn't work for one of the better schools, so I don't know what to tell you there.

Ouch!  I make more than that now.  Back to being a money-grubbing business lawyer.  :D

You do know that you won't make anywhere near as much working directly for a corporation right?

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 05:48:58 PM »
Vastly superior quality of life, though.  And "being a money-grubbing business lawyer" doesn't necessarily mean working directly for a corporation.

It isn’t that hard to find partners working less than 60 hours a week at a lot of good firms, it all depends on what you do and how you bring value to the firm. You make a lot more money at a law firm than you would at a corporation and are less subject to the “we’ve got to cut somewhere, how many lawyers do we have again” syndrome.

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006, 08:22:05 PM »
Ambassador. Ideally, Botswana or Swaziland.

Ugh.  Botswana?  Have fun with that dry creekbed.

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 09:17:21 PM »
Me toooooo!  I was just discussing this with my mom yesterday, who told me that admissions people (pre-consultant).  Don't make very much money.  Any idea what the salary would be?

They’re pretty far down the totem pole even though we're groveling at their feet right now. Think lower than the newest faculty. I only know one person in admissions and she started at around 30k. However, she doesn't work for one of the better schools, so I don't know what to tell you there.

I think there's a big difference between being an admissions person and on an admissions committee. Usually the former are responsible for recruiting efforts and may not have a JD, while the adcomms consist mostly of professors who are just doing it part-time (and probably voluntarily).

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 09:29:04 PM »
Partner at a high PPP, biglaw firm; maybe have a wife who's an ambassador or something similar.......

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 10:21:06 PM »
Partner at a high PPP, biglaw firm; maybe have a wife who's an ambassador or something similar.......

lol.

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2006, 10:59:41 PM »
I'm serious sbout the 1st part, but the 2nd part was set up so well that I just couldn't help myself.

another week, by popular

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 11:22:35 PM »
1. teaching at the law school i'm currently attending

2. government work, probably state department

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2006, 11:24:08 PM »

lol.

i want to be an ambassador...

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2006, 11:29:25 PM »
To be in the black.  :D  :-[