Law School Discussion

What's your 10 year goal out of law school?

obamacon

• View Profile
Re: What's your 10 year goal out of law school?
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 04:57:27 PM »

You'd either have to be a former foreign service worker (or other similar position) or a talentless hack owed something small by the administration of the time. You've spoken against the former, and I don't expect you'd make it as the latter.

What if my hubby -- assuming I pick one well -- donates lots of moolah to the presidential campaign? Ambassadorships are more often bought than not, and they'd be pleased if all I wanted was Gaborone or Mbabane in return for my 100K.

The problem is that you're looking at two relatively high value positions, ones they probably won't waste on patrons. The position you want is Ambassador to Canada (how odd that itís a lawyer :)):

http://www.state.gov/www/about_state/biography/giffin_gordon.html

redemption

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 05:08:40 PM »

You'd either have to be a former foreign service worker (or other similar position) or a talentless hack owed something small by the administration of the time. You've spoken against the former, and I don't expect you'd make it as the latter.

What if my hubby -- assuming I pick one well -- donates lots of moolah to the presidential campaign? Ambassadorships are more often bought than not, and they'd be pleased if all I wanted was Gaborone or Mbabane in return for my 100K.

The problem is that you're looking at two relatively high value positions, ones they probably won't waste on patrons. The position you want is Ambassador to Canada (how odd that itís a lawyer :)):

http://www.state.gov/www/about_state/biography/giffin_gordon.html

You think that (a) they WASTE high value positions on patrons, and that (b) my 2 preferences are high value posts? That's a double negative. Patrons want Paris, the Bahamas or anywhere else where they would vacation; party functionaries who are owed something are given the workhorse embassies, like Japan and Indonesia; FSOs who are broken and cynical get the ones that I want. My dollars to the campaign will be worth more than the promotion of some tired-out, malarial drunk who's been to one too many native strip joints, believe me.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 05:35:50 PM »
You think that (a) they WASTE high value positions on patrons

My point is that they donít, except for slight possibility in extraordinary circumstances.

FSOs who are broken and cynical get the ones that I want.

Are you making this up as you go along?

My dollars to the campaign will be worth more than the promotion of some tired-out, malarial drunk who's been to one too many native strip joints, believe me.

Iím speaking in terms of 3 decades in the future. Right now Africa isnít a post you waste because your diplomatic channels (and many other activities) likely run through the embassy, unlike in Europe. In the future this will probably change and Africa will be important for different reasons.

redemption

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 05:49:27 PM »
You think that (a) they WASTE high value positions on patrons

My point is that they donít, except for slight possibility in extraordinary circumstances.

FSOs who are broken and cynical get the ones that I want.

Are you making this up as you go along?

My dollars to the campaign will be worth more than the promotion of some tired-out, malarial drunk who's been to one too many native strip joints, believe me.

Iím speaking in terms of 3 decades in the future. Right now Africa isnít a post you waste because your diplomatic channels (and many other activities) likely run through the embassy, unlike in Europe. In the future this will probably change and Africa will be important for different reasons.

You sound so sure. I's a start, I suppose. You're taking a stand.

Oh, I'm not making things up how it is. I wish I were. Anyway, "diplomatic contacts" in Africa run more significatly through USAID missions than through the Embassies.

redemption

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 06:54:13 PM »
Ambassador. Ideally, Botswana or Swaziland.

Um. Are those even countries?

;D

More so than, say, Taiwan  8)

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 08:09:59 PM »
You sound so sure. I's a start, I suppose. You're taking a stand.

I know a few guys in the foreign service, and  had a professor or two spend who most of their careers there. Iíve got a fair understanding of what goes on (including the sketchy stuff and the horseplay).

Oh, I'm not making things up how it is. I wish I were. Anyway, "diplomatic contacts" in Africa run more significantly through USAID missions than through the Embassies.

Africa is a continent. Our embassies there operate differently depending on the country, some are very important, some are middle of the road, but very few are patron standard stuff, and not just because of the lack of scenery.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 09:21:27 PM »
I change my mind.  In 2020, I'll have just finished up my tenure as the assistant dean of admissions at a T14 school, and will be beginning my admissions consultanting business.  I will work from home, with babies running around the house, curlers in my hair, and probably wearing a mumu, as I charge poor saps from LSD $650/hour (adjusted for inflation and my extreme genius) to tell them what drivel to put on their resumes and in their PSs.

dont forget, 180  or better or dont even waste time applying...

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 09:57:25 AM »
I change my mind.  In 2020, I'll have just finished up my tenure as the assistant dean of admissions at a T14 school, and will be beginning my admissions consultanting business.  I will work from home, with babies running around the house, curlers in my hair, and probably wearing a mumu, as I charge poor saps from LSD $650/hour (adjusted for inflation and my extreme genius) to tell them what drivel to put on their resumes and in their PSs.

This sounds like the sweetest job of all time. Work from home, conduct most of your interview over the phone, more time with your kids.

Me toooooo!  I was just discussing this with my mom yesterday, who told me that admissions people (pre-consultant).  Don't make very much money.  Any idea what the salary would be?

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 10:41:55 AM »
Me toooooo!  I was just discussing this with my mom yesterday, who told me that admissions people (pre-consultant).  Don't make very much money.  Any idea what the salary would be?

Theyíre pretty far down the totem pole even though we're groveling at their feet right now. Think lower than the newest faculty. I only know one person in admissions and she started at around 30k. However, she doesn't work for one of the better schools, so I don't know what to tell you there.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 11:31:01 AM »

Theyíre pretty far down the totem pole even though we're groveling at their feet right now. Think lower than the newest faculty. I only know one person in admissions and she started at around 30k. However, she doesn't work for one of the better schools, so I don't know what to tell you there.

Ouch!  I make more than that now.  Back to being a money-grubbing business lawyer.  :D