Law School Discussion

What's your 10 year goal out of law school?

->Soon

• View Profile
Re: What's your 10 year goal out of law school?
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 01:42:45 PM »
Ambassador. Ideally, Botswana or Swaziland.

ummmm

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 01:44:58 PM »
Married to my current SO, couple kids, a lawyer who negotiates contracts between hospitals & insurance companies.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 01:56:29 PM »
Start off as a patent litigation attorney, then work until loans are paid off = 3 years.

Branch off with a couple of other attorneys and start own firm, nurse it till is runs itself =5-7 years

Then maybe start preparing for an attempt to run for a position as a judge. 

And during all of this, get married, 2-3 kids, own a couple properties to rent, investing my excess cash while living well below what I can afford. 

The goal is 2-3 million in the bank.. put that baby in mutual funds and take home a cool 80-90,000$$ each year in interest.  So when I end my stint as a judge/policy I can have a strong steady retirement.

And throughout all of this I will be looking for a market niche that has yet to be filled, and if I find it, then buy the company that holds the small share of this "niche" and exploit the crap out of it till it is a multi million/billion dollar company..  example: starbucks.

But if I dont come accross the perfect setup, then I will do the former.

redemption

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 02:03:26 PM »
Dave Eggers.

No joke.

I mean, maybe not Eggers specifically, if the writing could be more David Mitchell, I'd be down with that.  But yeah.  I'm actually completely serious.

You're not one of those people who quotes ahwstg all the time are you?  ::)

redemption

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 02:27:43 PM »
Dave Eggers.

No joke.

I mean, maybe not Eggers specifically, if the writing could be more David Mitchell, I'd be down with that.  But yeah.  I'm actually completely serious.

You're not one of those people who quotes ahwstg all the time are you?  ::)

Nope.  I actually preferred y.s.k.o.v.!

Plus I don't quote stuff.  Maybe occasionally something from Aqua Teen, or maybe South Park or the Simpsons, but that's about it.

I would like to have given up on the law and turned into a novelist, though.  And not writing that putrid legal fiction that lawyers for some reason decided to write.  :D

Gotcha. Phew.

Ever

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 02:37:34 PM »
Either sitting on the Texas Court of Appeals or teaching at the University of Oklahoma Law School.

:-\ Ideally, of course.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 04:08:29 PM »

See why I'm worried for you?

redemption

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 04:14:49 PM »

Too ambitious?

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 04:31:05 PM »

Too ambitious?

You'd either have to be a former foreign service worker (or other similar position) or a talentless hack owed something small by the administration of the time. You've spoken against the former, and I don't expect you'd make it as the latter.

redemption

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 04:49:10 PM »

You'd either have to be a former foreign service worker (or other similar position) or a talentless hack owed something small by the administration of the time. You've spoken against the former, and I don't expect you'd make it as the latter.

What if my hubby -- assuming I pick one well -- donates lots of moolah to the presidential campaign? Ambassadorships are more often bought than not, and they'd be pleased if all I wanted was Gaborone or Mbabane in return for my 100K.