Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions  (Read 19215 times)

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2007, 11:46:38 AM »
Like I said, I think they're changing things up, so if you go to HLS, you'll have to prepare to using .jd10 forever. 

I'm skeptical.  I would think that they would only do that to prospective admits, to prevent there being 30% more email accounts created than necessary, or whatever the negative yield is. Who knows.

I may very well be mistaken.  The letter reads "After you graduate, your Harvard Law School email address will be yours for life.  Give this email address to your friends, colleagues, and classmates and they will always be able to keep in touch."  Why would they encourage you to use and distribute this email address as a point of contact if it's going to change upon matriculation?
+exclusively.  I got that email probably 4 or 5 days after I got the binder.

Oh, I can answer this one. I'm on the HLS IT Committee, and the jd10 prefix is a new "feature" this year. While I don't really like the fact that it makes the addresses longer, I do understand that it is supposed to make your lives more convenient by giving you a permanent e-mail address rather than requiring you to switch to post.harvard email when you graduate (and potentially losing touch with contacts if you forget to update your addresses). I know that was a pain for me when I switched from yale.edu to aya.yale.edu.

Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »
Like I said, I think they're changing things up, so if you go to HLS, you'll have to prepare to using .jd10 forever. 

I'm skeptical.  I would think that they would only do that to prospective admits, to prevent there being 30% more email accounts created than necessary, or whatever the negative yield is. Who knows.

I may very well be mistaken.  The letter reads "After you graduate, your Harvard Law School email address will be yours for life.  Give this email address to your friends, colleagues, and classmates and they will always be able to keep in touch."  Why would they encourage you to use and distribute this email address as a point of contact if it's going to change upon matriculation?
+exclusively.  I got that email probably 4 or 5 days after I got the binder.

Oh, I can answer this one. I'm on the HLS IT Committee, and the jd10 prefix is a new "feature" this year. While I don't really like the fact that it makes the addresses longer, I do understand that it is supposed to make your lives more convenient by giving you a permanent e-mail address rather than requiring you to switch to post.harvard email when you graduate (and potentially losing touch with contacts if you forget to update your addresses). I know that was a pain for me when I switched from yale.edu to aya.yale.edu.

If you defer, does it change to jd11.harvard.edu?

wovst

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2007, 08:07:59 PM »
Have you been happy at Harvard? Does it ever feel too impersonal? Do you feel like it's especially difficult to establish relationships with professors? How are the other students on the whole? Was it difficult to find a social niche? And is winter substantially worse than winter in New Haven?
Thanks.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 24, 2007, 08:41:31 PM »
If you defer, does it change to jd11.harvard.edu?

I assume so. The point of the prefix is to group you in with the class you study/graduate with, not the class you were initially admitted with.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2007, 08:49:28 PM »
Have you been happy at Harvard? Does it ever feel too impersonal? Do you feel like it's especially difficult to establish relationships with professors? How are the other students on the whole? Was it difficult to find a social niche? And is winter substantially worse than winter in New Haven?
Thanks.

Yeah, I've been pretty happy and had a lot of fun. I don't think it's too impersonal...professors get budgets to take students out to lunch/dinner in small groups (6-10) students, so you do get to interact closely with profs. Just sign up for a lunch/dinner. When I wanted to meet with my civ pro professor to get advice on an actual lawsuit I'm involved in (merely as a class-action plaintiff--I had nothing to do with initiating the litigation), she was very accomodating and helpful.

Social niche, I guess that's up to the individual...I was ok finding one, although it wasn't super easy. But I think some people just instantly fit in with a group. So I'm not sure. But everyone in my section is quite friendly if you approach them--just not everyone is outgoing.

And the winters are a little better than in New Haven, actually. The avg. temperature is a few (like 3) degrees warmer in Boston in the winter.

However, New Haven is MUCH better than Cambridge at plowing snow during/after storms. So if you come to Harvard, bring boots.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

wovst

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2007, 11:41:54 PM »
Thanks.

Yeah, I've been pretty happy and had a lot of fun. I don't think it's too impersonal...professors get budgets to take students out to lunch/dinner in small groups (6-10) students, so you do get to interact closely with profs. Just sign up for a lunch/dinner. When I wanted to meet with my civ pro professor to get advice on an actual lawsuit I'm involved in (merely as a class-action plaintiff--I had nothing to do with initiating the litigation), she was very accomodating and helpful.

Social niche, I guess that's up to the individual...I was ok finding one, although it wasn't super easy. But I think some people just instantly fit in with a group. So I'm not sure. But everyone in my section is quite friendly if you approach them--just not everyone is outgoing.

And the winters are a little better than in New Haven, actually. The avg. temperature is a few (like 3) degrees warmer in Boston in the winter.

However, New Haven is MUCH better than Cambridge at plowing snow during/after storms. So if you come to Harvard, bring boots.

Thanks!

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2007, 08:57:14 AM »
Thanks.

It's ridiculously easy to establish relationships with professors.  On Monday I spent the afternoon with a professor who was editing an op-ed the NYT wanted to publish and she asked me to work it over in her office.  I had to leave early to have dinner with Martha Nussbaum and four other students.  Neither of these two professors taught me for credit (but I know those too) and instead are just people I've gotten to know over the year.

road

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:24 AM »
What do you know about the Harvard/Berkeley exchange program? I'm interested in IP and would love to spend a year at Berkeley. How competitive is it? Do people that do it seem to like it?
IANAL...Y

Princessa1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2007, 11:56:57 AM »
tag
Harvard Law School, Class of 2010!

Pink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »
Thanks.

It's ridiculously easy to establish relationships with professors.  On Monday I spent the afternoon with a professor who was editing an op-ed the NYT wanted to publish and she asked me to work it over in her office.  I had to leave early to have dinner with Martha Nussbaum and four other students.  Neither of these two professors taught me for credit (but I know those too) and instead are just people I've gotten to know over the year.

H4CS, thanks for posting this.  How did you get to know these profs, especially the ones you didn't take classes with?  I guess my question is, what's the first step in establishing these relationships?
HLS '10