Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions  (Read 19301 times)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »
I was recently accepted at Harvard and I was wondering if it is fairly easy to get a 1L summer gig at a Boston firm.  I won't have as much mobility in the summers since I have a family.

Also, what's in the binder that they're sending out to newly accepted students?

And, do you know of many/any non-trad female students with families? 

1. Summer firms 1L in Boston are the most competitive for precisely the same reason you want to work in Boston.  Also, there just aren't that many spots.  That said, there's plenty to do on SPIF in Boston, which if you're eligible for financial aid is $6K.

2. If it's like last year, a bunch of handbooks and pamphlets with info about the school/its programs.

3. I personally know only a few married females, and none (as far as I know) have families. I know a couple married w/ kids guys.  I don't know many people though.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2006, 07:32:20 PM »
what do most straight from undergrad 1Ls do as far as housing? How bad are the oncampus dorms? Are you at a social disadvantage if u live offcampus your first year or is it all pretty much the same?

I *think* most live in dorms, but plenty live elsewhere.  No big disadvantage, at least not one that lasts more than a week.  If you want to be super-social, just make sure to be relatively close and go to the events in the beginning.  Make friends.  The usual.

kiyakoiya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2006, 07:50:30 PM »
I was recently accepted at Harvard and I was wondering if it is fairly easy to get a 1L summer gig at a Boston firm.  I won't have as much mobility in the summers since I have a family.

Also, what's in the binder that they're sending out to newly accepted students?

And, do you know of many/any non-trad female students with families? 

there aren't too many married women with children that i know of but they do exist.  you should contact the harvard law couple's association to get in touch with people and hear what their take on it is: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/couples/
they were pretty helpful when my husband and i were getting adjusted here and it seems like they provide a pretty good community for families, if they want it.  lots of get-togethers and shared knowledge, etc.. 
also, i live in the affiliated housing for couples/families and the families with children seem to really help each other out.  there's a community to be had here as well, and i can see how it might be refreshing to have some kind of network OUTSIDE of the law school.

good luck with your decision!

Anne Shirley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2006, 04:36:07 AM »
Thanks, Bass.  I was afraid a 1L firm job might be harder to come by in Boston.  I'll keep that in mind.  I can't wait to receive the acceptance package. 

Kiyakoiya, Thanks so much.  I actually shot an email to the HLCA earlier today. I haven't received a reply yet, but I'm hopeful. 

****I did wind up getting an email from them the next day****
SLS 2010

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »
Our first semester just officially ended, so maybe we can give more thorough answers to questions about the complete experience

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2007, 07:54:06 PM »
eh, the complete experience extends beyond the first semester.  I'm now half-way done, so I can answer questions too.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2007, 05:26:49 PM »
But you're not a 1L, absy! Get out of our thread. :D J/K
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2007, 05:30:02 PM »
re: firm jobs,

I don't think it's "fairly easy" to get a job at a firm in any city 1L year. Apparently it's a lot easier 2L year but 1L year it's a crapshoot...I know absy got one though.

I've heard that firms want to know that you are committed to working in their city/region because they ideally want you to come back for your 2L summer as well (assuming you do well in your first summer), not just work for 1 summer and then ditch them. So if you tell the Boston firms that you are committed to staying in Boston because you don't want to move your family around, that could make you stand out from other applicants who are applying to Boston firms but also firms all over the place.

Honestly, I don't know too much about firm hiring though...I only applied to maybe 15 firms (I think it's common to apply to 100+ for 1L year if you really want to work for a firm?) and didn't interview with any of them... I focused more on government offices/agencies in my job applications. I've a received a summer job offer from the Securities and Exchange Commission which I will probably accept.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2007, 05:55:11 PM »
Re: Firm jobs.

The boston market seems pretty competitive (for HLS-ers) and is slower than some others in notifying people.  I haven't heard much, even from firms that asked for grades/writing samples.

If you have ties to a secondary market, it can be much easier.  I applied to the top 6 or so firms in a secondary market; I got interview offers from the top 3; and summer job offers from 2 (I didn't bother taking the 3rd interview).  I haven't received word from the other 3, but I've already accepted a job, so I'm done.

lovelyavocado

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2007, 10:11:51 PM »
dumb question: is orange county, CA considered a secondary market? i'd want to go back home [where i grew up, not college] to work there, and also figure that it'd be easy to demonstrate ties there.

random question: i want to do academia/public interest, but i'm thinking it might be smart to work BigLaw for a year after graduating just so i can make enough $$ to repay the loans. do many people do this? i'm thinking maybe work BigLaw for a year, go back and clerk, then go back and do stuff i love. does this even make sense? i am a stupid undergraduate who knows nothing; enlightenment needed.