Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions  (Read 19240 times)

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2006, 10:40:18 PM »
so i was looking at the postsecret book today and one of the secrets in there was "it's always been my dream to go to harvard law school.  now that i'm here, i'm counting the days until i can leave."  maybe harvard really is all sunshine and puppies and the worst thing about it is the tiny coffee cups.  but i don't believe it.  give me the real dirt.  what at harvard could make me miserable?

Well, it's law school.  Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy I'm here, and I really like it, most of the time.  But when it's 11:30 at night and I realize I've done nothing but law school work all day, and I still have fifteen more pages to read before I can go to bed (and law school pages take a lot longer than undergrad pages), and I know that I'll have to get up early the next morning to go to class, where I could possibly get cold called to answer questions about the case and potentially look like an idiot in front of lots of people I respect... well, law school's less fun.  Now, that's not most days, but it happens, on average, once or twice a week.

The work is harder than anything I've studied before, it takes more effort, and it takes more time, and even when I'm putting all the time into it that I can stand, and working hard to go over things, there's still stuff that's hard to get, and that sucks.  Mostly I like that it's hard, but, yeah, it can make a person miserable.

On the other hand, I doubt any other law school is any different (yeah, I know Yale doesn't have grades, but I'm pretty sure I for one would be working just as hard if I were there).

Man.  I basically never have that experience.  I gave up on reading civ pro, I occasionally read torts, and if I don't finish my crim, no worries--there's a great outline from last year that tells me everything I need to know.

This is really confusing!!!

this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2006, 10:41:48 PM »
What's confusing.  I don't work hard.

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2006, 10:43:58 PM »
yeah I dont study that much now.  I did last year but not so much this
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2006, 10:48:51 PM »
I guess there will always be people who work harder and people who work less no matter where you are. :P
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
I guess there will always be people who work harder and people who work less no matter where you are. :P

I think I'll learn to work hard soon.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2006, 10:56:27 PM »
Man.  I basically never have that experience.  I gave up on reading civ pro, I occasionally read torts, and if I don't finish my crim, no worries--there's a great outline from last year that tells me everything I need to know.

Yeah, I mean, like I said, I don't do it because I'm worried about the grades.  I do it because I want to feel like I know what's going on in case, and, mostly, I have an insane compulsion to do all the reading that's assigned.  It's been with me all through college, and I'm afraid it's incurable.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2006, 11:07:23 PM »
The worst thing is that today, after hearing Scalia talk, when Larry Lucchino (CEO of the Red Sox) came to talk to my section, he only gave away *2* autographed baseballs (Schilling and Wakefield).

You left out the part where Spaulding brought alcohol for the whole class during CivPro.

I'm upset that I had to leave the Lucchino talk early, did anyone ask a baseball question?  Once he announced that he was giving away prizes for the most flattering questions, he just got fluff.  I want to know if he regrets the Beckett trade (Anabel Sanchez and Hanley Ramirez!), what made Theo leave/come back, and what their long-term plans are for a catcher and how to avoid another meltdown if Varitek gets hurt.  But alas, I had to run to a dinner with John Kerry and Deval Patrick.  Life at Harvard sucks, you know.

I said it earlier, the biggest academic weakness is labor law.  Also, the on-campus housing is pretty sub-standard when compared to its peers.  Like it or not, Gropius is not the kind of place where people should live.  Absy and I both have rooms in Hastings, which is just barely passable.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2006, 01:37:23 AM »
What's confusing.  I don't work hard.

This makes me feel so much better.

FWIW, neither do I -- but I just had an oddly insanely happy/pessimistically frustrating testing experience.

So maybe there's hope for us.  Or maybe not. 
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Anne Shirley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2006, 02:14:35 PM »
I was recently accepted at Harvard and I was wondering if it is fairly easy to get a 1L summer gig at a Boston firm.  I won't have as much mobility in the summers since I have a family.

Also, what's in the binder that they're sending out to newly accepted students?

And, do you know of many/any non-trad female students with families? 
SLS 2010

jrwatkins

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2006, 04:25:06 PM »
what do most straight from undergrad 1Ls do as far as housing? How bad are the oncampus dorms? Are you at a social disadvantage if u live offcampus your first year or is it all pretty much the same?