Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T3 & T4 Acceptances and Rejections 2007  (Read 173505 times)

LBChic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: T3 & T4 Acceptances and Rejections 2007
« Reply #1750 on: March 15, 2007, 01:49:58 AM »
So who here is seriously tempted enough by T4 money that they are considering attending? I'm curious to here other peoples' perspectives.

I'm waiting on Loyola LA PT, but even assuming I got in (and it is a decent reach, but not impossible), I am still very hesitant to just turn down $62k from Chapman (over 3 years) or a full ride from Whittier. I mean, the freedom of graduating nearly debt free would be amazing - especially since, like some on here, I'm a "nontrad" in that I'm older, married, and about to take on a ridiculous mortgage here in CA.

Also, I'm currently a paralegal at a large downtown LA firm (nationwide 500+ attys), and there are quite a few associates and partners who went to places like SWestern, Whittier, and similar schools up north. Sometimes their bios say "JD from Whittier: Dean's Scholarship recipient", so it's not like one can't overcome the "stigma" or whatever of a T4 - and they get to keep their $80k+.

Thoughts?

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 15, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »
Browns Fan...I am hoping you get in as well. I think I am the only one stuck on going there. However, I really need a scholarship from them or I will be likely heading to another school.

kennybattle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 15, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »
EDIT: Went on UDC's website and got some of the wind knocked out of my sails.  They don't offer Consitituional Law at all during the 1st year  Opinions, everyone: is this so you can't transfer out? Would employers for 1L summer or 2L fall be concerned that you haven't completed Con Law until the spring of 2nd year?

That does seem unusual, especially considering how many government & related employers are in the area.  I have no idea what the impact would be.
Marquette University Law School Class of 2010

rev up the red!!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • the numbers.. eek!!
« Reply #1753 on: March 15, 2007, 10:17:24 AM »
Pucckie: make sure u know exactly what is needed to keep the scholarship!! it will prob be a 3.0 at whittier.. on a 2.6 curve.. and remember, many students that go there are going to be 'fighting' to get out! so if u lose ur scholarship after first year, would u be dissapointed???
what would chapman's be?? i know that chapman is a pretty good school! low attrition and high bar passage.. going there for half would prob be pretty good.. again tho, find out what is needed to keep the schoarlship! anything can happen in law.
i think you would have no problem getting a job after, especially at your current work.. so if you dont need the 'big name' to land u a job, i would prob go for chapman!

good luck;) heres hoping i can get an acceptance from chapman!!!

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: March 15, 2007, 10:18:10 AM »
I have 40,000 in student loans now...and I am not going to law school to accrue more debt. Whoever offers me the best financial aid package is likely where I will end up. I have a friend who is graduating from law school with a total of 200,000 dollars in loans and his fiancee has 150,000 from the same school...and its T3. I dont thin ka lot of people are realistic about law school loans and just figure, hey I am going to law school, I will be rich.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: March 15, 2007, 10:25:28 AM »
EDIT: Went on UDC's website and got some of the wind knocked out of my sails.  They don't offer Consitituional Law at all during the 1st year  Opinions, everyone: is this so you can't transfer out? Would employers for 1L summer or 2L fall be concerned that you haven't completed Con Law until the spring of 2nd year?

That does seem unusual, especially considering how many government & related employers are in the area.  I have no idea what the impact would be.

we dont have con law here until second year, and our employers could care less.  but then, there arent really any competing law schools for jobs other than fayetteville, and as far as i know they follow roughly the same schedule
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: March 15, 2007, 10:36:44 AM »

EDIT: Went on UDC's website and got some of the wind knocked out of my sails. :-\ They don't offer Consitituional Law at all during the 1st year ??? Opinions, everyone: is this so you can't transfer out? Would employers for 1L summer or 2L fall be concerned that you haven't completed Con Law until the spring of 2nd year?

I dont think this is a big deal.  I am a 1L taking Con Law right now - there are 2 transfers in my class that didnt take Con Law at their previous schools, so they were just stuck in w/us 1Ls for the class.
2L

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1757 on: March 15, 2007, 10:43:40 AM »
Search function down?

Also sent a letter of continued interest to Dayton

jsbowen

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Straight cash, homey"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: March 15, 2007, 11:55:24 AM »
Afer, I noticed you are deferred at Akron as well.  Did you get the still interested survey?  I responded with an affirmative for the full-time day program and received an email back stating they would look at those apps in mid-May.  ???
WVU 2010

melisssasue

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alemanmelissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: March 15, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
In at Barry with $24,000 with a 2.8 gpa. 

I hope all my schools get back to me before april 1st so I don't have to put mulitple deposits down (which I really don't want to do).