Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wanna Know What Your Chances Are?  (Read 26310 times)

redemption

Re: Wanna Know What Your Chances Are?
« Reply #410 on: October 21, 2006, 06:17:51 PM »

Really? Well, fortunately, it's not a matter of money, but Harvard and CLS seem to prefer higher LSATs, and I was thinking that those gpa-whorish schools like NYU and Berkeley might like me more.  But I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks!

See my EDIT orangie

Catherine Morland

• Sr. Citizen
  • the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 21, 2006, 06:21:31 PM »
I'll throw some information out there. I've already applied, but waiting is pretty boring.

I'm a black female, 171, 3.65. Freshman year was bumpy as a pre-med, with a 3.2, but I had a 3.8 and Dean's List the next two years. Applying straight from a pretty good undergrad. Recs are from two professors in my major who liked me and knew my activities around campus (though I'm probably not in their top ten all time or whatever it takes to make a recommendation "good").

Very little work experience (two summer jobs). I devoted all of my time to two club commitments (one religious, the other sports/student government affiliated), so a good part of my resume was explaining those roles (some of which I tied into my  personal statement in describing my passions that pushed me toward law school).  I wrote a DS for any school that asked about growing up as an Army Brat/living in Germany during Sept 11 and the beginning of Iraq conflicts.

Sadly, my LSDAS report says I'm 20. Does that affect things negatively?
0102 SLY

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. - Jane Austen

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 21, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »

Thanks red. I remember tonyp and shae's posts from last cycle, and hope a similar strategy works for me.  I'm not opposed to going to a T14 either  :D - of my list on LSN, which would you say will be my highest-ranked acceptance?

I think you'll get all of those schools, with maybe one random rejection.

Thanks for encouragement redemption, best news I've had in a while.  If you ever have a chance for a quick look at my PS, I'd really, really appreciate it (I'd like an opinion from someone who doesn't mince words - most people are too afraid to offend).
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

redemption

« Reply #413 on: October 21, 2006, 06:23:09 PM »
ok red, I got a 167 and have a 3.81. I will have worked for a year at a top 50 law firm as a paralegal clerk in securities litigation and teach LSAT for TPR. Before that I was youth director at a 2500 member church (about 100 member group). Thus, I worked full time during my last two years of UG. Can I get into UT, Penn, Northwestern, HYS? Any? None? Dean of Honors College will write letter to all schools. I have a targeted LOR from a Norhtwestern alum who is now an alumni interviewer for Northwestern here in Houston. I did the Northwestern interviewer, and the dude said, "you will be a good lawyer, and I am going to give you a positive rec." I am writing every essay.  .. why this or that, diversity statements etc. What are my chances? Thanks so much --

I doubt HYS, though anything is quite possible. I say yes to NW & UT & Penn (one will be a random rejection).

You sound like you have the app process by the scruff of the neck. Good luck.

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 21, 2006, 06:24:10 PM »
I'll throw some information out there. I've already applied, but waiting is pretty boring.

I'm a black female, 171, 3.65. Freshman year was bumpy as a pre-med, with a 3.2, but I had a 3.8 and Dean's List the next two years. Applying straight from a pretty good undergrad. Recs are from two professors in my major who liked me and knew my activities around campus (though I'm probably not in their top ten all time or whatever it takes to make a recommendation "good").

Very little work experience (two summer jobs). I devoted all of my time to two club commitments (one religious, the other sports/student government affiliated), so a good part of my resume was explaining those roles (some of which I tied into my  personal statement in describing my passions that pushed me toward law school).  I wrote a DS for any school that asked about growing up as an Army Brat/living in Germany during Sept 11 and the beginning of Iraq conflicts.

I obviously am just another applicant, but I think anyone would tell you that you have a great shot at just about any school, including HYS.

redemption

« Reply #415 on: October 21, 2006, 06:25:38 PM »

No, 20 year olds get in.

You're in at Yale & Harvard. Choose wisely.  ;)

redemption

« Reply #416 on: October 21, 2006, 06:29:55 PM »
this is fun. here's my data:

undergraduate gpa (degree): 3.93  (yale)
lsat: 172
3 years WE
master's degree

I'm already planning on applying to the usual suspects, but my question is this: with a 172, do I still have a good shot at getting merit money from someplace like Boalt or Chicago?

Those numbers are high for both schools. You could get money, esp because of the GPA. I don't know, close call. Chicago, especially, is stingy.

Sunshine Bound

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 21, 2006, 06:33:47 PM »
Hello all,

3.6 GPA from one of the top publics, and mediocre 160 for LSAT..
how do you guys think are the chances for Fordham, Cardozo, GWU, Hastings?

also, is it better to apply early, or to retake LSAT in Dec and apply later?

Thanks!!

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 21, 2006, 06:39:24 PM »
I've been reading for awhile, but never bothered to register.  This interests me though, so here goes:

3.89 from the hardest non-science major at BC
Excellent LORs
Academics: Highest Dean's List every semester, Nationwide Jesuit Honors Society, Golden Key Honors society, writing an honors thesis, etc
Work experience: 1 summer with a big law firm, 1 summer clerking for a judge, 1 semester working for my major's department, 1 summer with an insurance firm, 4 years as a camp counselor/head counselor
EC: TA as a sophmore, lots of leadership in pre-law society, captain of ultimate frisbee team freshman year, secretary in a club freshman year etc.

Chances at HYS, Chicago, Penn, Duke, UCB, Gtown etc?  Already applied, so very early too...

redemption

« Reply #419 on: October 21, 2006, 06:39:55 PM »
Hello all,

3.6 GPA from one of the top publics, and mediocre 160 for LSAT..
how do you guys think are the chances for Fordham, Cardozo, GWU, Hastings?

also, is it better to apply early, or to retake LSAT in Dec and apply later?

Thanks!!

Right now, you're looking schools in the Miami, Loyola LA range.

Depends on your goals. Generally speaking, a higher LSAT score trumps an early app. But nothing is guaranteed as far as future LSAT scores are concerned.