Law School Discussion

Wanna Know What Your Chances Are?

redemption

Re: Wanna Know What Your Chances Are?
« Reply #500 on: October 22, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »
Ok, I'll consider Cornell...any input on the schools I applied too? Any guess as to acceptances?

You're sort of on the edge at GULC & Michigan, but it's certainly possible that they'll take you. The others are, I think, pretty safe.

redemption

« Reply #501 on: October 22, 2006, 11:43:32 AM »
I'll try my fortune here. Please be gentle, red. Thanks.

-LSAT 169 (retake in Dec)
-GPA 3.6
-EC student body vp (15,000+ student body)
-foreign educated (asian)
-Ph.D. in life science
- 5+ publications
- 5 to 10 conference abstracts (cant list them all in my resume, so probably will list only 5 to 10 of them)
- some awards, nothing huge though.

I know my LSAT and GPA suck. I never cared much about my GPA any way. I took some graduate courses in my undergraduate just for the hack of it. What are my chances for the T14 schools. I need to decide which ones to apply before my Dec LSAT, which ones I should hold on. Thanks red, and anyone else who wants to share your opinion.

You should write an addendum about the bolded. Too few people do that -- it's admirable.

You current LSAT places you in range for almost all of the T14. The PhD, esp since it's in the life sciences , could be a  major bonus if you sell them a law+science story.

As it stands now, I can see Chicago, for example, snapping you up.

« Reply #502 on: October 22, 2006, 11:47:40 AM »
I think i got passed over and you were a big help when I was trying to figure out my options:

Did my undergrad in three years with double majors in English and political science at Univ of Michigan.  3.2 GPA.
Currently a Masters student with a 3.50 at Michigan State, will graduate in May. 
Unfortunate but seemingly alright 154 LSAT.

Willing to go anywhere in the country.  Long list of work in related (political campaign) and unrelated (children's cancer center) experience.  I'm sure my LOR and personal statement will be strong.  Oh and I'm a middle-class white boy.

Thanks.

« Reply #503 on: October 22, 2006, 11:51:57 AM »
Chances at Minn, Boston U, and Wash U in St. Louis?

Feb 06: 160
Jun 06: 164

3.85 GPA from Honors Program at Univ of Texas Austin. Asian-American female. Honors thesis in Philosophy. Volunteer work at women's domestic violence shelter. Phi Beta Kappa. pre law org.

Thanks red!  

redemption

« Reply #504 on: October 22, 2006, 12:09:53 PM »
I think i got passed over and you were a big help when I was trying to figure out my options:

Did my undergrad in three years with double majors in English and political science at Univ of Michigan.  3.2 GPA.
Currently a Masters student with a 3.50 at Michigan State, will graduate in May. 
Unfortunate but seemingly alright 154 LSAT.

Willing to go anywhere in the country.  Long list of work in related (political campaign) and unrelated (children's cancer center) experience.  I'm sure my LOR and personal statement will be strong.  Oh and I'm a middle-class white boy.

Thanks.

Sorry, sometimes the page turns over and I miss one or two.

Tne 154 limits your options a bit. If you think you could get a higher score with more practice, I'd think about doing that -- big diff in one's options if one is holding, say, a 157.

With the 154, I'd say the schools that I'd look at are ones like Penn State, Suffolk, Loyola N.O., Michigan State, NESL,  and Seattle U.   I'd think about Howard, too. (I'm serious).

Take especial care to look at the bar passage rates and employment figures of schools that you're considering, and pick schools by locality in which you want to practice. Good luck.

redemption

« Reply #505 on: October 22, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »
Chances at Minn, Boston U, and Wash U in St. Louis?

Feb 06: 160
Jun 06: 164

3.85 GPA from Honors Program at Univ of Texas Austin. Asian-American female. Honors thesis in Philosophy. Volunteer work at women's domestic violence shelter. Phi Beta Kappa. pre law org.

Thanks red!  

Good odds -- better than 75%. I take it that you have safeties and reaches?