Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Addenda: How many, how long?  (Read 280 times)

kates

• View Profile
Addenda: How many, how long?
« on: October 10, 2006, 02:37:49 AM »
Apologies if these questions have been answered already.

1) How many addenda are kosher? Is four too many? Is three?

2) How long should they be? Is one page double-spaced too long for a single addendum? Just right? If they are short, should they all be on the same page, or on separate pages?

3) Titles?

4) Can you still include addenda if the application doesn't have an "If there's anything else you'd like us to consider.." clause? Just throw them on in there unsolicited?

Much thanks everyone!

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: Addendums: How many, how long?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 02:49:24 AM »

1) How many addendi/addendums (bla!) are kosher? Is four too many? Is three? Say one is about a certain semester's grades, one is why I took a semester off, and one is the illness that kept me from working for the past year. These things all need to be addressed, so three wouldn't be too many, right?

2) How long should they be? Is one page double-spaced too long for a single addendum? Just right? If they are short, should they all be on the same page, or on separate pages?

3) Titles?

4) Can you still include addendi if the application doesn't have an "If there's anything else you'd like us to consider.." clause? Just throw them on in there unsolicited?

Much thanks everyone!

I don't know, but four seems like an awful lot. A lot of places will even say pick ONE.  My suggestion would be to work all of yours into one addendum. Giving four of them may make it seem like you pretty much look for an excuse to explain everything away.

As always, just my two cents. Those are just my personal reactions and not based on anything beyond what I've read here and on the applications themselves.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: Addendums: How many, how long?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 11:14:21 AM »

1) How many addendi/addendums (bla!) are kosher? Is four too many? Is three? Say one is about a certain semester's grades, one is why I took a semester off, and one is the illness that kept me from working for the past year. These things all need to be addressed, so three wouldn't be too many, right?

3) Titles?

4) Can you still include addendi if the application doesn't have an "If there's anything else you'd like us to consider.." clause? Just throw them on in there unsolicited?

Much thanks everyone!

I don't know, but four seems like an awful lot. A lot of places will even say pick ONE.  My suggestion would be to work all of yours into one addendum. Giving four of them may make it seem like you pretty much look for an excuse to explain everything away.

As always, just my two cents. Those are just my personal reactions and not based on anything beyond what I've read here and on the applications themselves.

To Whom It May Concern:

Three factors have compromised my performance while an undergraduate at _____________.

First, I died and couldn't take classes during fall semester of 2004.  Fortunately, I was revived and was able to complete my studies in the spring semester of 2005.  Since it is unlikely that I will again be subjected to death, this particular situation is unique and will be very unlikely to repeat.

Second, In the fall semester of 2003, I contracted the ebola virus and nearly died.  Needless to say, my grades suffered as I was nursing myself back to health.  Since the ebola virus is quite rare, I do not expect to recontract said virus, and the stated situation is unlikely to reoccur.

Third, and finally, I contracted the avian flu in the spring of 2005 and was unable to work for the last year.  The contagious nature of the avian flu combined with the personal debilitating effects prevented me from engaging in any meaningful activities.  Since the Avian flue is now scrutinized by the WHO and other health organizations, I feel it is unlikely that I would recontract the avian flu.

Sincerely,

Me.

Talk about a URM! Zombies who have contracted both ebola and avian flu are quite rare.