Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reading Material Prep for RC  (Read 406 times)

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
Reading Material Prep for RC
« on: October 09, 2006, 12:34:55 PM »
I heard people read dense reading materials like editorials in the Wall Street Journal to prep for the RC portion of the LSAT.  Does anybody know any other materials I should read? 

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Material Prep for RC
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 12:40:40 PM »
I suggest the passages in previously administered LSATs.  Seriously, that's the best kind of reading you can do.  You need to accustom yourself to those passages specifically.  You will not become better at the RC section by reading the WSJ editorials. 

President_Baccaga

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 12:42:14 PM »
Personally, the best bet is to read old RC passages from previous LSATs and go over the format, question stems, etc.  However, if you wanted to compliment that kind of studying, I think that you should get something representative of the genres covered in the LSAT RC passages.  For instance, generally one of the four sections deals with science, so you could pick up a scientific magazine/periodical/etc.  Usually the other three passages deal with law, history (often history of some minority group), and art/literature, and therefore it might be helpful to pick up something that deals with those three themes.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 01:35:58 PM »
practice with other rc sections.
get a feel for the types of questions, and actively read with the intent of spotting material that could be used in a question.

always note the main idea and author's attitude, then try to spot the passage structure, lists, examples, dates, etc.

after you get used to the limited # of types of questions, it makes marking up the passage easier.

when you take a break from lsat prep, spend all your free time watching the discovery channel, a lot of crap covered in RC passages is stuff that is shown on the discovery channel

gratefulDead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 05:48:30 PM »
I dont think reading over old passages will help much.  I do think that if you have grown up reading "dense" material (Scientific Journals, Analytic Philosophy, basically anything that is very technical and tiring) it will help you because the RC passages are incredibly superficial, so reading them is simply easier.  However, I am not sure if beginning to read stuff like that now will really help much, though its probably good for you overall.  And plus, most of that stuff is really interesting once you get the hang of it.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 05:57:29 PM »
I dont think reading over old passages will help much.  I do think that if you have grown up reading "dense" material (Scientific Journals, Analytic Philosophy, basically anything that is very technical and tiring) it will help you because the RC passages are incredibly superficial, so reading them is simply easier.  However, I am not sure if beginning to read stuff like that now will really help much, though its probably good for you overall.  And plus, most of that stuff is really interesting once you get the hang of it.

i found doing old rc sections to be very helpful.
i became familiar with the types of questions asked, and became better at picking out relevent info from the passage that questions addressed.
and i became better at marking up the passage to find specific info for the questions.

each person is different, but i think doing practice rc sections, especially the day before the actual lsat helped me get into the rc groove.

/of course i'll have a better idea of how much it helped when i get my score