Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone else writing an essay addressing an international perspective?  (Read 1563 times)

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
Re: Anyone else writing an essay addressing an international perspective?
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 03:41:30 PM »
Yeah, mine talks about how I grew up in Romania and how that made me realize what americans have that the rest of the world doesn't... without being arrogant about it.  Like the others said, its a little more spicy than that, but there you go.

ZAP

hyperdonya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 07:55:57 PM »
I wrote my PS on being an immigrant from Iran and the huge differences between our legal system and basic freedoms and the authoritarian regime in Iran, as well as moving around all the time growing up and how the two have impacted my love for the law and comparative politics and desire to study Int'l law....  hmmm maybe its not as original as I thought it would be...

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 08:00:16 PM »
I was thinking about blaming Canada for everything wrong in this country in my PS.  I figure a good dose of wacko paranoia and conspiracy theory should make me a lock to get into HYS.  Does that count?
3.8/155

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 02:07:08 AM »
I was thinking about blaming Canada for everything wrong in this country in my PS.  I figure a good dose of wacko paranoia and conspiracy theory should make me a lock to get into HYS.  Does that count?

You mean they're not?

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 02:21:18 AM »
Sounds really interesting - were you working there?

Anti-Americanism is rife everywhere and I find it odd when I defend certain aspects of America to people when I go abroad because I used to be fairly anti-American myself...all good PS material I say!

Yeah, I've been working here in a few different capacities (English teacher in France, computer programmer in Switzerland).  There's definitely a strong dose of anti-americanism, but more than that, there's a lot of really virulent anti-globalism/anti-capitalism/anti-technology that comes from people who don't see the irony of carrying a mobile phone, i-pod, and being employed by a website design company all the while ranting against, "the system."  It's like they're totally unable to connect the lifestyles they enjoy with any of this malevolent system they imagine needs to be fought. 

I think that for them America represents the heart of "the system," and so their anti-americanism is an outgrowth of their general beliefs.