Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there anyone who feels...  (Read 1853 times)

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anyone who feels...
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 04:21:57 PM »
sadly, i think not. THAT'S WHY I WANT PEOPLE TO STOP CANCELLING.

STOP IT, ALL OF YOU! YOU'RE RUINING THE CURVE FOR US BRAVE PEOPLE!

i would love to find out.
i think everyone who took the test should count into determining the difficulty of the test

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 04:28:34 PM »
Guys, the scale is predetermined.  It's based on experimentals, not on the actual group writing.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 04:31:11 PM »
Guys, the scale is predetermined.  It's based on experimentals, not on the actual group writing.

the scale may be predetermined, but the % placement is based on thepeople who took that lsat

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 04:36:56 PM »

the scale may be predetermined, but the % placement is based on thepeople who took that lsat

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but that doesn't seem to matter.  Because the scale is predetermined, if you get X wrong, you get Y score.  It doesn't matter how many other people get that.  A certain number of cancellations is probably pre-calculated into the scale.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 04:45:43 PM »

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but that doesn't seem to matter.  Because the scale is predetermined, if you get X wrong, you get Y score.  It doesn't matter how many other people get that.  A certain number of cancellations is probably pre-calculated into the scale.

the % breakdown matters a lot to some people.
places like powerscore require all instructors to have scored in the 99th percentile.
if a 169 breaks at the 99th percentile, instead of 98.9th percentile, that's nice to know.  and keeping all of the people's scores who cancelled are more indicative of the difficulty of that lsat

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 04:53:32 PM »

the % breakdown matters a lot to some people.
places like powerscore require all instructors to have scored in the 99th percentile.
if a 169 breaks at the 99th percentile, instead of 89.9th percentile, that's nice to know.  and keeping all of the people's scores who cancelled are more indicative of the difficulty of that lsat

The %iles are determined from the last three years of test taker data.  A few more or less cancellations for this administration will not budge them much, if at all.

so a 163 for 90th percentile doesn't mean 90% of the people scored below that, but 90% of the people scored below a 163 over the last few years?

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »
it doesn't matter if they're determined before our test in experimentals or from the actual test itself. If we found a RC section hard, chances are pretty good that people from before found it hard as well.

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2006, 09:22:39 PM »

Are we really having this debate again??

apparently.

it is becoming a seasonal lsd tradition.
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2006, 09:30:34 PM »
If by "seasonal" you mean "biweekly".

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 09:31:11 PM »
while true that a law school will see two scores..one high and one low, it's not nec'ly the case that another candidate with a single high score will punk you (OP espresso's scenario, above).

Schools will see two scores and look at your GPA. If you did badly in school, they'll view the high score as luck, and average the scores in their assessment of your candidacy; if you did very well in school they'll be more apt to accept your say so (or your advisor/recommender) about having a bad day. Of course, you need to give them something to hang that opinion on, or it's all guesswork.