Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "School Submissions" section on OUAC web site  (Read 1827 times)

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
"School Submissions" section on OUAC web site
« on: October 06, 2006, 10:37:33 PM »
Hey fellas.
So I am actually applying for Canadian schools and today I was looking at the "School Submissions" section on the OUAC web site. The personal statement would be a requirement, obviously, but I see that all these different requirements for each school. For example, Ottawa U says, in addition to the PS:
2) Describe the event which affected your academic performance.
3) Specify the academic term(s) for which special circumstances have affected your grades. (* Eg. F1 to W2 (F is fall term; W is winter term; 1 and 2 is academic year))
So do I need to complete three things for them? What if I don't have one obvious f*ckup semester.. so that means I don't have to write 3), right? Then do I still need to write 2)?? I am a bit confused. Also, Osgood wants:

1. Discuss how your academic and non-academic experience has prepared you for the study of law. (2000 characters)

2. Discuss the significance of a law degree in light of your goals. (2000 characters)

Could I use my general PS for #1?

I guess I should be e-mailing the admissions offices themselves.. but I thought I'd throw this out there for all as well. BITE IT!!! haha.. BTW, are Canadian aspiring law students just generally reticent or do we have a special board somewhere separate? I'd like to know.
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• Sr. Citizen
  • please fire this man
    • View Profile
Re: "School Submissions" section on OUAC web site
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:03:10 AM »
Hey fellas.
So I am actually applying for Canadian schools and today I was looking at the "School Submissions" section on the OUAC web site. The personal statement would be a requirement, obviously, but I see that all these different requirements for each school. For example, Ottawa U says, in addition to the PS:
2) Describe the event which affected your academic performance.
3) Specify the academic term(s) for which special circumstances have affected your grades. (* Eg. F1 to W2 (F is fall term; W is winter term; 1 and 2 is academic year))
So do I need to complete three things for them? What if I don't have one obvious f*ckup semester.. so that means I don't have to write 3), right? Then do I still need to write 2)?? I am a bit confused. Also, Osgood wants:

1. Discuss how your academic and non-academic experience has prepared you for the study of law. (2000 characters)

2. Discuss the significance of a law degree in light of your goals. (2000 characters)

Could I use my general PS for #1?

I guess I should be e-mailing the admissions offices themselves.. but I thought I'd throw this out there for all as well. BITE IT!!! haha.. BTW, are Canadian aspiring law students just generally reticent or do we have a special board somewhere separate? I'd like to know.

No clue on the UOttawa thing, not applying there. I guess a school like UOttawa expects applicants and matriculants who tend to f**k up (jk :D).

For Osgoode, I guess you could use your PS for (1) if it answers the question and meets the character limit.

As for aspiring Canadian law students, its both - there is a separate board and not many people post on it (relative to LSD). The URL is www.lawstudents.ca/forums.

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 12:04:45 AM »
Wow thanks. You rock. :)
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 08:50:58 AM »
What if I don't have one obvious f*ckup semester.. so that means I don't have to write 3), right?

Wow big woman!  ;)

Otherwise, from what I've heard Ottawa U's admission is crapshoot and depends less on numbers than any other school in Canada or the US. They obviously stress diversity and you can obviously provide that so GOOD. Keep in mind that they also admit a lot of kids straight from CEGEP. It's hard to make any academic or personal judgement about them.

As for Osgoode, you'd know better than me.

Also, I bought a personal writing book from a Canadian author, and the PS's for Canadian law schools seemed more like autobiographical sketches than strict PSs.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

CNB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 02:31:02 PM »
Also, I bought a personal writing book from a Canadian author, and the PS's for Canadian law schools seemed more like autobiographical sketches than strict PSs.

Title and Author perhaps??

Thanks

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 02:26:19 AM »

Title and Author perhaps??

Thanks

I loaned it out. Not sure when I'll get it back.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

CNB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 08:49:32 AM »
 :'(

thanks anyway