Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Really do need advice  (Read 250 times)

Root Hog

• Sr. Citizen
  • The USA PATRIOT Act
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Really do need advice
« on: October 06, 2006, 07:07:15 PM »
Here's the situation. This is my third LSAT. On the OCT '05 test, I misbubbled badly on the RC, knew it, hoped I hadn't, and decided not to cancel. I got a 159. On the DEC test I upped that to 172. Since then I have been teaching the LSAT at workshops and decided (I know it was stupid) to try one more time for the HYS score. By the way, my GPA is 3.97. Assuming a scale like Junes I've tried to predict my score. The RC section makes it difficult because I had so little extra time that I'm a little confused as to exactly what answers I choice. Bottom line is I'm very sure I didn't do better. Best guess would be around 167-168. I doubt 170 and it could conceivably fall as low as 165. My reason for retaking was that I hoped that an admin official looking at 159/172 would be better assured if they saw another 170+. Question: if you were an admin official would you be more apt to raise your eyebrows at 159/172/166 or 159/172/cancel? Actually, I tend to believe that they could care less. A 130/172/140 still means they get to report a 172. I am interested in the opinions of the posters on this board. Thanks.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Really do need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 07:12:57 PM »
I wouldn't risk it.  It's easy to explain away the 159 in an addendum saying how you misbubbled.  Clearly you are capable of a 172 and you have a GPA which would indicate that it's probably not a fluke.  I think you would have a decent shot at HYS without this thrid test.

Just my .02

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 07:20:54 PM »
Root Hog, I've commented on your situation before... I think they'll raise their eyebrows that anyone would retake after a 172.

Canceling now won't hurt you. They'll just be a little bit confused as to why anyone would be crazy enough to take it again. They'll also understand that the 13-point improvement didn't happen just by dumb luck, and if they're rational people, they'll focus much more on the 172 than the 159. Despite everyone's jaded opinions of the admissions process, I do have faith that the people making the decisions about our future are rational in situations like yours.
NYU 2010

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 08:12:47 PM »
check the policy on averaging at the schools you are intersed in. some of the top schools still average.

if i were an adcomm i'd less concerned by a 166-168 vs a cancel than i am that you took it three times. you might raise some eyebrows either way, so an addendum might in order. i don't know what else to suggest, sorry, but i wish you luck.
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"