Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: About 40, can I do it?  (Read 1091 times)

flip_side

• View Profile
About 40, can I do it?
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:53:56 PM »
Ive been working on the LSAT and find it a beast to prepare for. I've been out of school for years, which I think really harms my ability to prepare, especially for RC. In addition, my major and career choice has been in science, although it is not helping  on those science RCs. Fortunately, I do have determination to ultimately do well on the exam. How important are undergraduate grades the farther out of school one is, to the whole application process?

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: About 40, can I do it?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 04:05:49 PM »
it can be done.  it's more a matter of practice than what you know.  just b/c you've been working in science doesn't mean that you'll know more about a RC ques that is about science.  that's not how the LSAT works.  you kinda have to suspend your knowledge & learn how to take the test in order to get a good score.  the more you read the posts on this board you'll see that the LSAT isn't a test of your knowledge.

i'm in my mid-30's & will start when i'm 40's.  i'm more worried about the cost of ls than anything else.

anyway, you should go to the non-trad thread & post this ques.  you'll probably get more help there.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 04:10:17 PM »
You will actually have an advantage in the admissions process (all things being equal), schools seem to love llfe experience. Oh and adcoms are well aware that grade inflation was no where near as bad as it is now and that that into consideration when looking at your GPA.

Have you thought about taking a class to get some guidance on it? I personally really liked Powerscore and their bibles.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 04:42:41 PM »
YOU CAN DO IT, AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN. Admission officers try to diversify their laws school class as much as possible and being 40 does not rule you out, it actually gives you an edge. One thing I have to tell you about the LSAT study though, dont ever leave it. its like a language you learn, if you dont speak it, it will leave you. If you abandon the LSAT books for more than one week, you've slipped a step behind. The LSAT is more than a beast, its a forceful master. It forces you to respect it, if makes you ask yourself sometimes "Damn, I thought I was the smartest person in the world but man, how insane could I have been to have ever thought that?". It is very demanding but you CAN do it. Stay focused, it will weigh you down on some days, it will make you wonder if all this crap is going to be worth it in the end, but thats what makes the whole thing absolutely magical. If you share the same passion we all share on this board, then go for it! You can do it!!!!!
Washington University School of Law 2010

Root Hog

• Sr. Citizen
  • The USA PATRIOT Act
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 06:03:47 PM »
I certainly hope you can, since I am 40.  :-\

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 06:19:39 PM »
I am 40 and I am in law school now...part-time in the evening while working full-time and raising kids. It can be done...once you get through the LSAT, it will seem like a distant memory.

You can do it!...and like PennyLane said, it is actually to your advantage that you already have a career and your are more mature...the admit people take that into consideration because they want older students as it makes their schools more diverse.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 07:15:39 PM »
VERA!!!

Where have you been, I have missed you!
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

younghova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 07:16:45 PM »
wow, how many 40 year olds are there on this board applying or just getting through law school.

its great to hear.

dougs71172

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 09:33:36 PM »
You can do it!!!  If you have the passion and willingness to make the sacrifices necessary, then you'll be fine.  The fact it's difficult is a good thing.  First, it keeps alot of people from making it through or even trying.  Second, and even better, finishing something that is very difficult engenders a great sense of accomplishment and pride.

NClawdad

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 09:57:23 PM »
[quote author=LOST SOUL 8701  its like a language you learn, if you dont speak it, it will leave you. If you abandon the LSAT books for more than one week, you've slipped a step behind. The LSAT is more than a beast, its a forceful master. It forces you to respect it, if makes you ask yourself sometimes "Damn, I thought I was the smartest person in the world but man, how insane could I have been to have ever thought that?". It is very demanding but you CAN do it. Stay focused, it will weigh you down on some days, it will make you wonder if all this crap is going to be worth it in the end, but thats what makes the whole thing absolutely magical. If you share the same passion we all share on this board, then go for it! You can do it!!!!!
[/quote]

Wow, that might be a little intense, but do whatever it takes to make yourself keep going. I'm 32 and I feel ya bro. I'd suggest reading short academic journal articles in political science or history just to bring your brain back into focus without boring yourself to tears. Give yourself at least three months to execute your plan, and trust that what has made you successful up to this point will help you find your way through this very wierd phase of the journey.

Just think, you have to dedicate yourself to something that has no substantive contribution to your legal education (other than the ability to receive one).  Best of luck!