Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm starting to have second thoughts.  (Read 496 times)

mjb

I'm starting to have second thoughts.
« on: October 06, 2006, 12:36:56 PM »
I got a nice engineering job which will hvae great security for a long time. I've only been out of college for 6 months but I make good enough money to afford a big 3 bedroom apartment. I've been able to fully furnish it with nice things(leather couch, big hdtv etc). I can most likely buy a house soon if I stay on my job. I got 2 kids and a wife who really has no job prospects. I gotta support them.

My job has a wonderful work-life balance. I come in whenever I want(literally) and leave 8 hours later. I can, if I so choose, leave at anytime as long as I make up the hours later on. I regularly take half days then make up the 4 hours throughout a week or in later weeks.

Should I really make the jump into law school? I dont want my family to live cramped or poor and I don't want to go back to stressing about money. Will I find in three years that I'm worse off than I am now? I think thats a real possibility. I'm a bit lost.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
Re: I'm starting to have second thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 12:43:58 PM »
mjb, I am in the same boat as yourself. I am a civil engineering student graduating in June and already have job offers for 60k+ a year. Job security in this field is remarkable, and obviously the money isnt toooo bad (but not as much as I would like, 60k will not buy you much in San Diego). I am have a very difficult problem deciding what I should do. I am entering myself in this app cycle, but becuase of my extremely low LSAT (which I will find out in a few weeks is true) I will NOT get into a T1 or T2. I will be lucky to get into a T3. Everything else aside, I am not sure I will be as financially successful coming out of a low ranked law school. Also, being an engineer I can do the 40hr/wk thing, as well as have great flexibility.

I really have on idea what to do.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:45:18 PM »
Go if you have a strong interest in being a lawyer.
Law school is not worth the bother otherwise. You will be poor and not have a lot of spare time for the next three years.

That said, if you're interested in something like patent law you've got a lot of good prospects from what I can tell.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 12:47:14 PM »
That is a tough decision. I do not yet have any kids, but I am married, own a home, and have a good job. I have been back and forth on law school for the last couple of years. It is definitely tougher when you are in a comfortable position, especially considering the glut of attorneys in the market. Speaking with my wife, however, I have made the determination that I will regret it for the rest of my life, if I do not go, and neither of us wants that to happen. Further, three years is really not very long, in the overall scheme of life. For me, I am finally going to take the dive.

However, you can always look into a part-time program. This could be especially feasible since your current job is so flexible. I have a friend who went to part-time at Denver, graduated near the top of his class, and still obtained a job with a large firm in Denver.

Do the Ben Franklin on it, and see what makes sense for your situation.
In: Texas Tech ($), Tulsa ($$$); South Texas ($); Baylor; SMU
Waitlist: Oklahoma; Houston; Denver
Rejection: Texas; Georgetown; Harvard; Colorado; Northwestern; ASU;

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 12:51:32 PM »
I am personally interested in patent, construction, and environmental law. the engineering firm i work for employes in-house consulting lawyers. my supervisor has already told me that there is a very good chance i could stay with the company and do law. from what i hear being an in-house consultant is nice because you work the 40hr/wk and still get paid quite nicely. but with that being said, i have no promise of that position, just a few great supervisors that would like to see me stay within the company.

and being a civil engineer, patent law is going to be hard for me to get into. i know they like EE and CPEs. there is very little patent work for civil engineers, so i am not sure how that would change my prospects in the patent world.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 12:55:07 PM »
I have made the determination that I will regret it for the rest of my life if I do not go

mjb, if you can say the same, you should go to law school.  If you're not sure, what's the rush?  Work a few years, gain the experience, the contacts, the savings.  Then, if you still can't stop thinking about it, go!  Your kids will be older, your wife may find a great new job, and you can save enough money so you don't have to stress about it for three years.  Plus it will be easier to find a patent attorney job with several years of experience if that's what you ultimately want to do.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

dbmuell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 01:00:14 PM »
I feel the same way as the earlier poster that said basically "If I don't do this, I will regret it for the rest of my life."  I have a very comfortable job as a Software Engineer, in a very comfortable town, good income, nice car, plenty of money in the bank.  My work-life balance is excellent.  So why am I considering a career in law?  I'm considering a career in law because every M-F morning, I wake up, drive to work, get to my cube and spend the next 8 hours watching the clock tick down so I can leave this boring job that I have no passion for.  I can't imagine what it would feel like after I've been doing this for 35 years...

The reason I relate my experience is to raise this question: All things financial aside, are you doing what you want to be doing in life? Are you happy going to work and doing the job that you're doing now, or do you see yourself more happy doing something else?  Put all financial matters aside and think of this honestly.  Will your kids' lives really be upset by the fact that you lacked for money for three years?  More so, would being a a job you dislike cause other reactions in your homelife that might be even worse?  Remember, you have a LOT of years left to work.  If you're not happy doing what you do, there's no better time to fix it....

mjb

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 01:04:34 PM »
Would I rather be a Lawyer than an Engineer? Yes I would no question. I never felt comfortable calling myself an engineer. My desire in the subject matter is low and theres nothign I hate more than going into a lab and dealing with electrical hardware.

What I do absolutely love is that I have a great life outside of work and the extremely low stress level of my job. I've been reading more, playing more video games and im going back into an old hobby I really missed and put on the backburner because of school. This is something I don't think I want to give up.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 01:12:54 PM »
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I say go. You only live once. And there's nothing worse than living with regret.

mjb

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 01:17:13 PM »
I feel the same way as the earlier poster that said basically "If I don't do this, I will regret it for the rest of my life."  I have a very comfortable job as a Software Engineer, in a very comfortable town, good income, nice car, plenty of money in the bank.  My work-life balance is excellent.  So why am I considering a career in law?  I'm considering a career in law because every M-F morning, I wake up, drive to work, get to my cube and spend the next 8 hours watching the clock tick down so I can leave this boring job that I have no passion for.  I can't imagine what it would feel like after I've been doing this for 35 years...

The reason I relate my experience is to raise this question: All things financial aside, are you doing what you want to be doing in life? Are you happy going to work and doing the job that you're doing now, or do you see yourself more happy doing something else?  Put all financial matters aside and think of this honestly.  Will your kids' lives really be upset by the fact that you lacked for money for three years?  More so, would being a a job you dislike cause other reactions in your homelife that might be even worse?  Remember, you have a LOT of years left to work.  If you're not happy doing what you do, there's no better time to fix it....

So we're in almost identical work situations. I just sit and stare at the wall until my 8 hours are up. Granted I was a lot of time on message boards and writing emails but still. I dont dred work. I chat with co-workers and relax.

You hear these horror stories abou tlaw and lawyering. Are we signing up for 50% more hours for less pay in a highly stressful occupation?