Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: deleting out  (Read 1807 times)

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
guys, the reason the entire brain one is right is this:

even if they were affected to different degrees, you don't know that that's just how those parts of the brain work-- even if they are located together. maybe the same amount of oxygen deprivation causes you to realllly slur your speech but doesn't make you walk worse. to me, this answer choice never weakened it.

however, if you say that the damage affected the whole brain, you have much less reason to conclude that the part for speech must be near or next to the others.

i didn't think this one was that hard...
Well we're just trying to find a flaw in the argument. The premises said something like this "the climbers showed impairment in speech, movement and thinking". The conclusion said "from this we can conclude that speech part of the brain is definately not distinct from the other parts of the brain".
The flaw here is not that the argument overlooks that the whole brain lacked oxygen. In fact it probably considers it, because it wouldn't be logically possible for some parts of the brain to have more oxygen than others at the same altitude. After all, the different parts of ones brain are not going to be in different altitudes.
What we need to do is counter the conclusion, and show that the conclusion does not follow from the premises. This is the whole idea of identifying the flaw of the argument. Now suppose the conclusion is correct, and the part of the brain responsible for speech is also responsible say for movement. This is one part of the brain, and if it is affected by the lack of oxygen it would have to show equal level of impairments for both movement and speech. The reason for this is that it is the same part of the brain. If it is very susceptible to the lack of oxygen, then it won't be able to function well in both areas; that is it won't be able to perform both its speech function and movement function perfectly. But it is incosnistant to think that it's speech function is impaired only a very slightly while its movement function is impaired greatly, or vice versa. I think in a case like this it is more logical to infer that two different areas of one's brain are responsible for these functions, and that one area is more susceptible to lack of oxygen than the other.

Heh, these discussions always make me smile... mostly because it doesn't matter ^_^
I know, but i'm still quite positive my answer is going to be correct.

bonkers1234

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
eh, i dunno. i still think it's a leap to say that just because they are near eachother (i'm pretty sure the stimulus did not stipulate they had to be THE EXACT SAME PART of the brain) that they have to be affected equally. even if they are in the same part of the brain, i would have no problem with a certain amount of oxygen deprivation affecting the different abilities differently. however, by saying the "effects of ox. dep" affected the entire brain weakens it.

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I am pretty sure lonewolf is 100% right that the car ad question is a past one, not from this exam.  The question you describe is just like the one he posted and I'm 100% positive that car ad question was NOT on the exam I took last Saturday.  I've recognized every other LR that's been posted as being on my exam, but I am positive that car ad one wasn't.

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I am pretty sure lonewolf is 100% right that the car ad question is a past one, not from this exam.  The question you describe is just like the one he posted and I'm 100% positive that car ad question was NOT on the exam I took last Saturday.  I've recognized every other LR that's been posted as being on my exam, but I am positive that car ad one wasn't.

Your statement contains the assumption that this question was not on an experimental LR section  ;D

No.  I stated MY exam.  It was not on my exam and is therefore not the missing 50th question.  Wasn't on my LR experimental either though, but either way, it cannot be the missing question because if it was, it would have HAD to have been on my exam.

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile

Your statement contains the assumption that this question was not on an experimental LR section  ;D

No.  I stated MY exam.  It was not on my exam and is therefore not the missing 50th question.  Wasn't on my LR experimental either though, but either way, it cannot be the missing question because if it was, it would have HAD to have been on my exam.

There are sometimes more than one experimental LR section - it was certainly the case in December.  Search old posts if you don't believe me, but it's true. 

You said "it cannot be the missing question because if it was, it would have HAD to have been on my exam" - if you and I had a different LR experimental, and it was on mine and not yours, then the question was indeed on this exam, just on your version of it.

LOL.  I really should be working instead
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

wovst

• View Profile
can we go back to the smokers? check out last page.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,71646.0.html

what about the 2 different groups response?

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I wonder if we re4started polls on some of these debated questions, if the results would change significantly? I wonder if debate has changed anyone's minds? I know of at least two that I originally defended on which I now have been persuaded that I was wrong? Anyone else?

Which ones have you changed your mind on RootHog?

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
All right, to all those who still doubt:

"Advertisement: The country classic is the only kind of car in its class that offers an anti-lock bracking system  that includes TrackAid. An antilock braking system keeps your wheels from locking up during hard braking, and TrackAid keeps your rear wheels from spinning on slippery surfaces. So if you are a safety conscious person in the market for a car in this class, the Country Classic is the only car for you"

The advertisement is misleading if which one of the following is true?

Correct: Other cars in the same class as country classic offer an antilock braking system that uses a method other than TrackAid to prevent rear wheels from spinning on slippery surfaces

Yep, I remember this question.

I can't remember if I picked the answer, though.

Was this a fairly easy question?

This was from an earlier test (the one above) BUT THERE WAS A CAR QUESTION ON THE EXAM. I'm beyond possitive. Was it a Corrington or something?
All right i must concede a point that when i thought about the car question i initially thought of something with a C, and suggested something along the lines of corrington. I think this is probably not a coincidence. In any case, that question was easy so i think we all got it right.

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

There are sometimes more than one experimental LR section - it was certainly the case in December.  Search old posts if you don't believe me, but it's true. 

You said "it cannot be the missing question because if it was, it would have HAD to have been on my exam" - if you and I had a different LR experimental, and it was on mine and not yours, then the question was indeed on this exam, just on your version of it.

LOL.  I really should be working instead

No again.  The missing question cannot come from an experimental section.  The missing question must come from a SCORED section.  Everyone has the same SCORED sections.  THEREFORE, the missing question DID have to be on my test.  If it was on your test and not mine, it was an experimental question--NOT the missing scored question!