Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement Topic- Input Please  (Read 1651 times)

LRT

Personal Statement Topic- Input Please
« on: August 24, 2004, 09:21:31 PM »
I am writing about my experience as the child of immigrants. I want to write about my experience as a "translator" for my parents who had difficulty mastering English. Growing up I would translate, explain, and speak for them in situations where they couldn't do so for themselves. (For example: opening a bank account, disputing an incorrect bill, etc.) I want to show how my parents' inability to communicate/lack of formal schooling has taught me about the value of understanding the world around you and acquiring an education. So basically, an essay how this experience has influenced my decision to attend law school. What do you guys think?

dr_draino

Re: Personal Statement Topic- Input Please
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 09:24:22 PM »
I think that the only times in my life when I wish I didn't have two completely normal, loving, college educated parnts are when to sit down and write personal statements.  This is a perfect topic.

rushmore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 09:26:08 PM »
I think it sounds great.  I think if you can honestly and vividly describe the struggle youll have a great ps.

inthesun

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 09:49:34 PM »
I love your idea for a PS.  I see a lot of "it might work if you do it right" on this board, and you definitely found a way to "do it right."

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 06:11:31 PM »
that is crazy!  i was seriously going to write a very similar ps... well im sure ours will turn out differently due to different life experiences, but i wrote a term paper all about limited english speaking parents..

eek, tell me we are not applying to the same schools!  lol :)

good luck!

LRT

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 11:25:09 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm having a hard time getting the statement just right to where it's about my experience and not so much about my parents. Argh! But I'll keep trudging along.

Maryanne, what was your paper about specifically? I'm just curious...

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 01:02:05 PM »
mine's about getting over my fear of public speaking and it ties in with my parents not speaking english and stuff....  what about u LRT?

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 01:15:41 PM »
whoops misread your post.  my term paper was about working parents who couldnt speak english and their experiences in the labor market in regards to family friendly policies, minimum wage, etc.  :)

LRT

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 11:51:19 PM »
no takers?  :'(

sluan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 12:59:26 AM »
Hi,

Good job.  I like your draft.  I can certainly relate to some of the encounters you mentioned.

There are a lot of good things to say about your PS and perhaps also a lot of potential (constructive) criticisms.  However, I'll just mention a few.

I finished your PS still teetering on what it is that you equate with education.  Yes, you say "I have found that education is best equated with an enlightened mind and a better understanding of one’s self."  Is this compatible with your parents' notion of education as money and success?  Which educational ideal do you most subscribe to?  If it's the ideal of enlightenment, you have not convinced me of that yet.

You wrote: "There are many reasons that I want to study law, but all of these reasons stem from my belief that a legal education will help define the world for me in the same way that the English dictionary helped me to define the world to my parents."

Now that's interesting!!  This association between that dictionary and your career ambitions may be something you want to write about in more detail.  If you fear that this elaboration would be too long, do not hesitate to delete the more formulaic "..meet the challenges... explore the opportunities..." phrases.
156-154-159-161-167-155-161-163-164-164-164-160-164