Law School Discussion

DECISION DATES FOR 2006/2007 CYCLE

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: DECISION DATES FOR 2006/2007 CYCLE
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 12:50:18 PM »
At an information session today, Faye Deal at Stanford Law mentioned that she's going to start reading applications next week.  How exciting and nervewracking...Good luck everyone!

Oh wow!  Can you tell us anything else you learned at the info session?  (eagerly waiting to eat up the info - Stanford I love you!!!)

It was actually a joint session with NYU, Cornell and Duke, so Ms. Deal only talked for about 20 minutes.  She pretty much covered the standard admissions talk (apply as early you can get together a good application, take time off if you are undecided, take the LSAT only once, if possible, etc).  She also reiterated that she cares a lot about diversity and "distance traveled," and that abstract "think piece" essays almost never work.  She said that she admits the strongest candidates and rejects the weakness candidates first, and then decides the middle range candidates much later in the cycle.

I guess not much new stuff, but good to hear from her.  She's a really nice lady, especially considering she holds the fate of so many of us right there in her office!

Learn anything interesting from any of the other schools that is new knowledge?

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 02:57:37 PM »
So here's a brief recap of some of the interesting things from the last few law school meetings:

Cornell: They seem to really like talking about their clinical legal programs, a LOT.  That and the idyllic environment of Ithaca.  Not much else.

Duke: Bill Hoye pretty much said that he only really considers academic LORs.  Employer ones are secondary at best, and character ones are absolutely useless.

NYU: They seem to care quite a bit about undergraduate prestige, and they very strongly prefer only one LSAT score.  They also suggested that they really like students with international backgrounds/experiences or knowledge of foreign languages.

Berkeley (last week): Ed Tom stressed applying as early as possible--to him, first week of November is already "late."  He said that for the personal statement, it doesn't matter if you address "why law" or "why Boalt Hall."

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 03:07:59 PM »
So here's a brief recap of some of the interesting things from the last few law school meetings:

Cornell: They seem to really like talking about their clinical legal programs, a LOT.  That and the idyllic environment of Ithaca.  Not much else.

Duke: Bill Hoye pretty much said that he only really considers academic LORs.  Employer ones are secondary at best, and character ones are absolutely useless.

NYU: They seem to care quite a bit about undergraduate prestige, and they very strongly prefer only one LSAT score.  They also suggested that they really like students with international backgrounds/experiences or knowledge of foreign languages.

Berkeley (last week): Ed Tom stressed applying as early as possible--to him, first week of November is already "late."  He said that for the personal statement, it doesn't matter if you address "why law" or "why Boalt Hall."

Great - thanks for the info!

xk

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 03:46:12 PM »
NYU: They seem to care quite a bit about undergraduate prestige.

Hmmm.  That's not the first time I've heard that.  Yet it's still a bit suprising... 

Great post Mike.  Thanks.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 04:54:30 PM »
NYU: They seem to care quite a bit about undergraduate prestige.

Hmmm.  That's not the first time I've heard that.  Yet it's still a bit suprising... 

Great post Mike.  Thanks.

I'm sure with your numbers, they won't care what school you graduated from! 

School reputation is probably only a consideration at the median or lower.

mL4300ic

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 09:20:52 PM »

Good, I wasn't planning on applying to Boalt anyways but that just sealed the deal.

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2006, 03:24:33 PM »

I can't go to any fairs or forums, unforunaely, would anyone be willing to talk about the NYU schtick a little more? I'm really interested in what they had to say... thanks!

They didn't have much else to say--the representative talked about the diversity of NYC, the sense of community at the law school, and the importance of taking the LSAT just once, if at all possible.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 10:00:22 PM »
I heard from a Harvard adcom today, and she said that Harvard would probably start sending out decisions a few weeks earlier than last year and that she expected the first decisions to be sent out in mid November.

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2006, 07:16:00 AM »
I heard from a Harvard adcom today, and she said that Harvard would probably start sending out decisions a few weeks earlier than last year and that she expected the first decisions to be sent out in mid November.

Wow, looks like they are trying to compete with Duke's priority track thingy. ;)

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2006, 08:18:06 AM »

Wow, looks like they are trying to compete with Duke's priority track thingy. ;)

Yeah, you know Harvard.  Always trying to keep up with Duke.