Law School Discussion

University of Houston

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
Re: University of Houston
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2007, 11:08:54 AM »
I hear at American, they make you shave your head and speak in tongues...

Oh, fabulous! I'd fit right in ;D

Chibundu - thanks. :)

*stomps off to think about it some more*

Sell Out

• Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2007, 12:13:54 PM »
I second the call to consider where you want to practice.  UH for Texas, American for the East Coast.  You will do very well for yourself coming from either of the two.  I'm taking the "screw money" attitude and going where I want to also, so I feel you on the urge to try something different.

Chibundu

• PrimeTime!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bunz
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2007, 02:12:45 PM »
I also visited American and my friend is a 1L there right now. Its crazy because the school is placed in one of the most expensive parts of town, so apartments in the area are going to be pricey. I think my friend is living driving distance, yet close, and she has two other roommates , but pays like $900/month. Yet again, if you can network or have an idea of what you want to do, you can pull it off where you could go to American and still work in Texas it is just going to be harder and require some elbow grease. I also met a person from Dallas who said he is about to try to make a lateral transfer to SMU, because he wants to become Governor of Texas and SMU is just better for his career aspirations.

Again, I like the East Coast, I have spent the past 6 years in the Midwest and I just have no desire to spend my life anywhere around here. The people just are not as friendly, in my opinion...

But yea, both are great schools IMO

« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2007, 08:51:09 PM »
Curious-- SMU better for career aspirations apart from seeking the governor's office or is his political aspiration included in this judgment? It looks like he wants to transfer to SMU b/c he believes it will increase his chance of becoming governor one day, along with more immediate career goals.

I'm not sure which political circle advised this course of action but regarding the governorship it makes no sense.

(deciding between SMU & UH)

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2007, 10:01:36 PM »
Thank you for weighing in everyone! :) I really appreciate it.

Blue... :P :P :P :P :P

Chibundu

• PrimeTime!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2007, 10:28:04 PM »
Curious-- SMU better for career aspirations apart from seeking the governor's office or is his political aspiration included in this judgment? It looks like he wants to transfer to SMU b/c he believes it will increase his chance of becoming governor one day, along with more immediate career goals.

I'm not sure which political circle advised this course of action but regarding the governorship it makes no sense.

(deciding between SMU & UH)

I think it is my fault. I was not terribly clear. He is currently a 1L at American and is originally from Dallas. Clearly if his grades are high enough, he should try to transfer into UT. But I think since he was able to get into SMU initially, he feels he should have no problem transferring laterally to SMU with his current Fall grades. Also he felt like he needed to get away from Texas and now is about to transfer back to the Greatest State in the Union, so that his political aspriations can be better served in HIS opinion. This was all in a matter of about 5 minutes. I did not ask for the entire break down in his thought process, but securing employment in Texas easier to do with a degree from SMU, than a degree from American.

Chibundu

• PrimeTime!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2007, 10:29:06 PM »

But you are welcome Silent, I am sure you will make the best decision for yourself when it is time.

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2007, 11:12:03 PM »

But you are welcome Silent, I am sure you will make the best decision for yourself when it is time.

You're a sweetheart. "When it's time" is really what it boils down to -- soon, I will have no choice but to MAKE a choice!

« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2007, 05:18:12 PM »
It's not hard to get in..I got in w/ 160 and 3.17

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2007, 02:58:43 AM »
Part-time? I know it's sort of a school in favor of LSAT and less attached to UGPA, and lots of people with non-traditional backgrounds go there.