Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Houston  (Read 17530 times)

ofchoudhury

• View Profile
    • Email
University of Houston
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:37:31 AM »
Anyone here know anything about the University of Houston Law School? That is the school I want to go to because it's close to home and relatively cheap compared to other law schools(considering what you're supposed to get out it). U.S. News and World Report ranked it number 70 (surprisingly ranking both baylor and smu higher). Is it difficult to get into? I read that they accept 25% of the applicants. (good odds?) What would you say is a reasonable gpa and lsat score to get admitted? i'd appreciate any input.

mjb

Re: University of Houston
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 12:18:23 PM »
Anyone here know anything about the University of Houston Law School? That is the school I want to go to because it's close to home and relatively cheap compared to other law schools(considering what you're supposed to get out it). U.S. News and World Report ranked it number 70 (surprisingly ranking both baylor and smu higher). Is it difficult to get into? I read that they accept 25% of the applicants. (good odds?) What would you say is a reasonable gpa and lsat score to get admitted? i'd appreciate any input.

I know someone who went to UHouston and now is a multimillionaire. Thats all I know.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:46:40 PM »
I don't go there, but I live in Houston and have been to the law school for several events: open house, tour, mock class, LSAT, practice for the LSAT.

Good facilities, very helpful staff, happy students, non-competitive environment and the top law school in Houston. If you want to work in the Houston market following graduation, it is a great school and will connect you with Houston area employers, good starting salaries. They're moot court is award-winning, good law review, no formal study abroad program (but you can do any ABA accredited study aboard and get UH credit).

I'm not too keen on the location, right off the freeway and close to an undesirable side of town, but most students commute in. Lots of law students from Texas schools like UT, Baylor, SMU and UH attend UH-Law.
Vanderbilt 2010

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 03:20:11 PM »
Any knowledge of the national rep of Houston? 

I know it's a good T2 with definite placement in Texas.  I live in Texas now, and am hoping to go to law school close by, probably work in TX for a few years, and then move back to the east coast.  Or by that time, will it matter more about my law experience than JD?

Houston does not have a national reputation, but it is well-regarded IN Houston. If you go there and work in Houston for a few years following graduation, you will have established the experience and credibility to move outside the Houston market. I'm sure you could get a job outside of Houston following graduation, but it will be much harder (you'd need top grades, law review and a lot of initiative). Many firms won't hire simply because they've never worked with someone from your school before. UH will land you a job in Houston (which includes some top international firms where you can make a lateral move to another location later on) as well as some reach into the Southeast.

Houston is a major hub for healthcare and the petroleum industry, so there are many in-house and law firm opportunities that deal with these issues, too.

It's a great school, but it won't have the pull of a Vanderbilt or UT.
Vanderbilt 2010

Ever

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:05:51 PM »
Houston has had some problems in the past few years, mostly due to dissatisfaction with their current or former dean. Students and teachers accused her of placing the social and racial demographics of the school above its prestige and rankings, which is partly why it has slipped in the US rankings. All in all though it is a good school and well regarded in terms of Health Law at the least. I almost went there because of their joint JD/MA History program, but SMU turned out to be the better deal after Katrina, I think.

Aside from UT, when you go to a school in Texas youíre not getting much in the way of transportability. That doesnít mean you canít leave Texas, but youíll be doing it on your merits not the merits of the schoolís name. Once you get out into practice and develop connections you should be able to move more freely. There are a few Houston firms that have offices on the East Coast which I would think you could transfer within, but I donít know much about employment beyond what Iíve learned on these boards.

Go to Houston and visit. Talk to students who are there; ask them what they like and donít like. Thatís really the only way to learn about a school. Anything youíre told here is secondary information and therefore suspect.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:52 PM »
I go to UH, I love it. I am currently sitting on 2 offers. 1 on the West Coast at a large firm for $100k and 1 in Houston at a very large and prestigious firm for $145k. I had to hustle to get the jobs because I'm not on law review and I'm only top 1/3. The point is that it can be done from UH. Overall, it's really worked out. I have no regrets about my decision. Good luck. Come to UH!

mjb

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 05:46:13 PM »
I go to UH, I love it. I am currently sitting on 2 offers. 1 on the West Coast at a large firm for $100k and 1 in Houston at a very large and prestigious firm for $145k. I had to hustle to get the jobs because I'm not on law review and I'm only top 1/3. The point is that it can be done from UH. Overall, it's really worked out. I have no regrets about my decision. Good luck. Come to UH!

Good to hear someone do well outside ivy.

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 01:17:15 AM »
Good to hear someone do well outside ivy.

It's funny you should put it like that :)

ScurvyWench! I wondered when I'd run into your here :) (Pick the Houston one! Pick the Houston one!!)

chewy06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 01:19:15 AM »
I'm applying there. Not at the top of my list but I would enjoy going there.

chewy06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 01:31:59 PM »
I'm applying there. Not at the top of my list but I would enjoy going there.

Same here.

You're pretty much an autoadmit there.