Law School Discussion

Mediocre LSAT and GPA

Mediocre LSAT and GPA
« on: February 12, 2004, 06:44:59 PM »
I scored a 155 on my LSAT and my cumulative undergraduate gpa from Washington University was a 3.10 (B.S. in civil engineering).  I have been working as an engineer for three years at one of the largest engineering firms in the world, and I obtained excellent references.  I have had a difficult time assessing where I would fall in the applicant pool, and as such have applied to 16 schools with 5 more on my list.  I fall below the mean LSAT scores at a majority of the schools I have chosen. Does anyone have any advice?  My top choices are UC Hastings, George Washington, USC, and Fordham. Am I being unrealistic given my mediocre LSAT and GPA?  From the third tier I am considering Penn State and New York Law School. 

fungoking

• Play me some Buck Owens!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mediocre LSAT and GPA
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 07:11:12 PM »
I think your GPA is less a problem becuse your have a "sexy" major, ie, its a technical BS that most applicants don't have.  I also would think because you come from such a reputable undergrad, and again, because your major isnt really famous for high GPAs, you'll be competitive with higher GPAs.

Again, this is all specualtion....

Your LSAT might hurt you at UC, GW, and Fordham.  I think its below range at all three schools, and there isnt much you can do to dress up an LSAT score.  It's pretty concrete.  By last years numbers, you got a shot at Penn State and NYLS, but the four top 50s, by numnbers alone, might be longshots.

BUT, I would recommend, with your experience and GPA, that if there's a school you really want to attend, set up an interview and get some face time-- Deans of Admissions are most forthright when you talk to them face to face. 

I know GW has a program where they let Engineering undergrads right into law school without the LSAT, provided they sign up for the prog as freshmen and get their BS from GW.-- This makes me think that they are interested mixing orange with purple (Clemson colors, ewww) and if you have some real engineering accomplishments, you might be as attractive as some of those BS/JD people that never untangled from the Ivy(well, there isnt any ivy in foggy bottom, Trach...nevermind.)  Just a thought--but certainly, lobby those top teir schools.  You're low in the snow by the numbers, but you might be able to impress them if you can make a good presentation and sell your relatively unusual package.

Good luck--i put in at NYLS and Dickinson myself, but I'm just a dumb polisci major, 154/3.2

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 09:37:18 PM »
Someone define a sexy major.

fungoking

• Play me some Buck Owens!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 09:05:42 AM »
asthetically (sp?) appealing

Ivy_Hopeful

• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 12:54:42 AM »
Anything that is beyond the ordinary or prototypical major.

Dare I say it... Political Science, Criminal Justice, Pre-Legal Studies, Paralegal studies and the like...

Maybe mine is .... Psychology!  :D

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 02:59:33 PM »
I will be graduating with my BS in Paralegal Studies this December. 

I have never been called "sexy" before.  I think I am liking this discussion board!!!

:-* :-* :-*

Christie