Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tell me what you really think of me.  (Read 1563 times)

Iggy

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Tell me what you really think of me.
« on: October 03, 2003, 05:07:32 PM »
I am at a total loss as far as how schools will view my situation. Maybe one of you will tell me what you really think?

164 LSAT, my GPA works out to about a 2.9 total, but I have a bit of an unusual situation, although not unique. I went to a premier school far away from home for 2 years and got a 2.0. I quit school and entered the "real" world (apparently school is not real, but unreal or surreal?).

In the ten years since, except for the first two of which I would quantify as "screwing off," I think I have built a pretty remarkable resume/story: first, working in a warehouse I decided that I could be/do more.

For the next two years I decided to be the best warehouse guy they had ever seen. At 23 I became head of a department of about 12 (most older than me).

Realizing the best warehouse guy still isn't that great, I went to a temp agency about 6 years ago and told them that I would take any level job, as long as it was in a professional office that was relatively small (I felt like I would be more noticed than I had been in a 700+ employee outfit).

I started answering phones at a real estate title office. I have been steadily promoted and cross-trained over the last six years. I began going back to the local state (not community, but state) school about three years ago. I worked 50 to 70 hours/week at the same time (mostly 55-60). My GPA there is 3.8. About 1 1/2 years ago the Senior VP (Esq) came to me and said, "you will be an office manager soon, but I since you have topped out in our company in only 5 years, why don't you go to law school? Then you can advance to regional and national level jobs. Let me write your recommendation and tell the schools about what you have done while maintaining great grades."

I can also talk about advancement in a 2nd job I held before going back to school; volunteering for 10 years straight; and about the communication skills and significant legal exp I have gleaned from my real estate closing and title research.

So here are my questions: What type of schools are reaches, targets, and safties for me?

How do I compare my stats with others? My 164, that's easy. My GPA, is it a 2.8, a 3.8, or somewhere in between? Where in between? Do you think I will be viewed similarly as a 3.2? A 3.4? A 3.6? Is my story/exp as good as I think? Or am I biased bc it's MY story and experience? There's no 25/75 split on experience!

Tell me what you think and you will receive my undying admiration.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: Tell me what you really think of me.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 11:23:31 PM »
I believe you have a shot at one or two top ten schools (those would be reaches due to the GPA) since law school looks for diversity in its entering class. But other schools like UCLA are good runners up based on your LSAT and situation. Plus most law schools tend to forget about your GPA's importance (2.9) and base on the LSAT and experience, and in this respect you should be able to apply to Yale, but don;t count on that (sorry for the downer but people with near perfect GPA's and 180 LSAT's still have about a 40-60 percent chance at this strict enering class). Good luck and study hard you make a fine JD graduate.  ;D ;)
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

Iggy

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 11:13:09 AM »
I have heard that about Yale, but I have to say I considered them a bit out of my reach. Although, the only way to be sure you won't get in is not to apply, right?

What about Michigan? I have heard similar things about them, to a lesser degree, that they are willing to admit on things other than pure numbers.

Do you think that I can apply to tier 3 schools as my safeties? Or do you think I should apply to some in tier 4 for true "safety?" There are several in tier 3 that I have learned about that I know I would be happy to attend, I can't say the same for any in tier 4 - and not so much becuase they are in tier 4 but because I haven't found one that seems right for me.

Thanks again!

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: Tell me what you really think of me.ieve
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 06:32:43 PM »
I believe that tier 3 schools can be your safeties. Your GPA is not that bad, I think you would be fine when applying to tier 3 schools, but just in case admissions iare going to be strict, then I would apply to at least one tier 4. Just in case as a super safety, you know given the unfortunate occurence that you get rejected from all other schools. You would liike to attend law school no matter what, right the apply to all tiers (focusing on the 2nd, third tier schools with a couple of 1st tiers and one or two fourth tiers just to be safe). Just advice good luck either way!  ;D
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

petepeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 01:25:24 AM »
My guess would be that you should be aiming around the middle of the top tier (say, 15-35, where your LSAT places you in a favorable light), looking at safety schools a little below that, and reaching for the top 10.  Unless you are closely tied to a small geographic area, I don't think you need to go all the way down to third tier for a safety school.  Your LSAT is good, and the bad part of your GPA, while they will probably look at it, really sounds like ancient history.

I remember visiting a law school last year in the #30-40 range and listening to the admissions director there speak with a prospective student in a similar situation to yours.  The prospective student was concerned about a low GPA that he got over 10 years ago before his successful career in the securities industry, and the admissions director was strongly encouraging him to apply.  Admissions officers understand that people change over a long time of working, and they value the diversity that a person with life experience brings to their school.

Skippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 07:11:51 AM »
I would agree with petepeke.  15-35 range, possibly a little lower or little higher.

The GPA thing is iffy, but you will most likely be considered among the 3.0's out there.  Thing is, 164 is an excellent score, but not one that will likely get you into a top 10 (if you look at their stats...whoo man!)

What "premier" undergraduate school did you goto?  Even if you goofed off there, I don't understand why you had to start at a warehouse job.  Your experiences are certainly unique so you might get into a Top 10 possibly, but they are definitely reaches.  People with atypical stats like those (like I did) need to apply to at least 10 to make sure that they a) get in somewhere, and b) have a few schools to visit and choose from.