Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: McGIll Language Requirement  (Read 1032 times)

Bouzie1982

McGIll Language Requirement
« on: October 04, 2006, 05:53:40 PM »
Hello all:

Im an American desiring to apply to McGill this cycle.  The catch is I'm just beginning French classes now.  IF admitted I plan to take part in a French reading intesive institute at Harvard as well as a summer immersion program at Middlebury.  Any thoughts on whether my dedication to attaining aural and written 'fluency' will be enough to satisfy the requirement (basically are they going to test me on this before I show up for the first day of class or is it just assumed that I have basic literacy in French since I applied?)

Thanks for any thoughts you have.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: McGIll Language Requirement
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 05:56:48 PM »
Though I cannot answer your specific question, I thought I should point out that, in all likelihood, the French to which you will be exposed at Harvard and in Vermont will be different from that you would encounter at McGill. Much like studying at Oxford and immersing in the Devonshire would not completely prepare you for Boston English.

Bonne chance
Penn (2007)

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 08:45:56 AM »
From what I've heard of law students at McGill the French used in Class is not very much. And that some students who can't read french get by reading notes made by others.
As for the french requirement, I think taking courses and using it are two different things. Especially, like Gilles said, you only learn to speak Quebec French by being in Quebec, and being at McGill, there's no guarantee you'll even do that.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:25:01 AM »
The application itself asks you where you learnt your English and French.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.