Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Explain rankings and tiers to me...  (Read 2674 times)

enkidu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain rankings and tiers to me...
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:39:32 PM »
So, looking through my US News law school ranking book, I see schools ranked 1-99, and then tier 3 and tier 4.

Where's tier 2? Or is it like top 50 is tier 1, 50-99 tier 2 and so on?

Are the tier 3 and 4 just so bad that they don't place? Is there anything wrong with these schools? Obviously better schools have better salaries/bar passage rates etc. but is there something that makes a school a tier 3 or 4 aside from lower stats?
Going to W&L!

orangie

• Sr. Citizen
  • GULC '10
    • View Profile
Re: Explain rankings and tiers to me...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:43:53 PM »
>Where's tier 2? Or is it like top 50 is tier 1, 50-99 tier 2 and so on?

that's right.

>Are the tier 3 and 4 just so bad that they don't place? Is there anything wrong with these schools? Obviously better schools have better salaries/bar passage rates etc. but is there something that makes a school a tier 3 or 4 aside from lower stats?

yes, they are worse that all of the schools that have been ranked.  But other than that, there is nothing wrong with them (but I guess it also depends on what you imply by 'wrong').

Ever

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 02:07:42 AM »
Lots of people dump on the lower tiers with no justification other than US News rankings and the fact they are regional schools. Honestly, that is anything outside the T25, but people love their number and cling to it for self validation.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 10:41:56 AM »
Lots of people dump on the lower tiers with no justification other than US News rankings and the fact they are regional schools. Honestly, that is anything outside the T25, but people love their number and cling to it for self validation.

You could even argue that some schools within the T25 are more or less regional.
Penn Law '09

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 01:58:49 PM »
to me, it seems like if you meet a dr. the first question you think of may not be 'where did you get your degree?'
and where they got their degree may not have as huge an influence on their career as it does with lawyers.

where you get your jd will stay with you throughout your career, and many people will have a perception of your abilities based on where you attended.  this may work in your favor and get you a better job, or may work against you.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 02:02:28 PM »
I am making a $4 million donation to a T14 school just for the acceptance. It's a big deal. Good thing I am ridiculouly good looking, I mean, rich.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 02:49:09 AM »
to me, it seems like if you meet a dr. the first question you think of may not be 'where did you get your degree?'
Actually, if he's from a lame school I wouldn't even meet with him. When I was scanning yellow pages for dentists I skipped those with unlisted credentials or TTTs.
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777