Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: for those that have started law school  (Read 45914 times)

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #640 on: August 27, 2007, 12:52:36 AM »
My first case was People v. Newton.  I had to wait until the end of the class to point out it was, in fact, Huey Newton we were talking about.

At least 80% of the people in my class had no idea who he was.  And people wonder why I'm so depressed all the time.

I was depressed when people didn't recognize him from the fact pattern.  Man, that's rough.

Thou?
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 27, 2007, 07:11:14 AM »
My first case was People v. Newton. I had to wait until the end of the class to point out it was, in fact, Huey Newton we were talking about.

At least 80% of the people in my class had no idea who he was. And people wonder why I'm so depressed all the time.

I was depressed when people didn't recognize him from the fact pattern. Man, that's rough.

Thou?

:D I remember when he had that tar!
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 27, 2007, 08:28:16 AM »
I had to Google him just now. 

Well at least you know your relative pronouns.  Have a stab at correcting this thread's subject heading.

I see you've given up on blueb- he is a lost cause.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 27, 2007, 08:50:38 AM »

Well at least you know your relative pronouns.  Have a stab at correcting this thread's subject heading.

thats is sooooooooooooo note true!    :P
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 27, 2007, 09:56:30 AM »

and P, your more than welcome to come down here this winter and give me some lessons in the art of grammar.

I must warn you though, i suffer from a bad case of s3xlexia   ;)

ps - bring cady, she can be in charge of punishing me when i make a mistake

witch eye wood neber doo!   ;D

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 27, 2007, 10:53:12 AM »

I've said this forever.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 10, 2007, 11:14:52 AM »
ok, what are you 1L's thinking?

2L's?

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 10, 2007, 11:21:52 AM »
Marbury v. Madison is a difficult case to start out with.  Nonetheless, I think the best technique for understanding cases is just to read carefully a few times, the first time without underlining or highlighting (or only circling difficult terms), and then try to write a summary for yourself, checking back in on the case when you run into trouble.  I can't offer a lot of advice about briefing because I think it is really a matter of what works for you personally (and because I do not brief myself), but just writing out definitions for terms the court discusses, a restatement of the holding in your own words, a few notes to remind you what the factual background of the case was, etc., is a good idea.

I think you should just hum a few bars and then figure it out from there.

My first case was People v. Newton.  I had to wait until the end of the class to point out it was, in fact, Huey Newton we were talking about.

Still don't remember him.  Do you mean Huey Lewis?  Or was Huey Newton the one who did the Back to the Future music stuff?  Anyway, the first case I remember was about eating people.  I understand that British food is disgusting, but I wouldn't eat the father of Spiderman.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 10, 2007, 07:32:20 PM »
Marbury v. Madison is a difficult case to start out with. Nonetheless, I think the best technique for understanding cases is just to read carefully a few times, the first time without underlining or highlighting (or only circling difficult terms), and then try to write a summary for yourself, checking back in on the case when you run into trouble. I can't offer a lot of advice about briefing because I think it is really a matter of what works for you personally (and because I do not brief myself), but just writing out definitions for terms the court discusses, a restatement of the holding in your own words, a few notes to remind you what the factual background of the case was, etc., is a good idea.

I think you should just hum a few bars and then figure it out from there.

My first case was People v. Newton. I had to wait until the end of the class to point out it was, in fact, Huey Newton we were talking about.

Still don't remember him. Do you mean Huey Lewis? Or was Huey Newton the one who did the Back to the Future music stuff? Anyway, the first case I remember was about eating people. I understand that British food is disgusting, but I wouldn't eat the father of Spiderman.

does whatever a spider can.

quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 10, 2007, 09:03:32 PM »
for those of you that have started, did you have second thoughts about the school u choose?