Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: for those that have started law school  (Read 45037 times)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #610 on: August 13, 2007, 05:48:58 PM »
im only up then cause i have to be.

was hoping LS was a bit more sleep friendly...

Haha if you are a 1L day student expect 8am classes!! haha but once you are a 2L like me... expect to pick your classes.. right now i'm don't have one till 11 40 am and i'm on a waitlist for a class at 230pm and if i get into that one.. i'm dropping the 11:40 class..haha awesome!!!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #611 on: August 13, 2007, 05:49:41 PM »
My profs don't let you off if you say you don't know. They go to a question you do know then try to lead to the answer they were going for.

The work is so different from what I expected. You read 2 pages 2 twice, take careful notes, then go to class and have a prof point out slowly through questioning 20 things you didn't notice about it. Then at the end you find out the next case completely reverses or changes the rule established by the first, so all that work is just for historical interest. Then you read a 3rd case and you find out the second was the odd one, and the rule to take away is the one established in the first. It is like playing Where's Waldo, but with words instead of pictures and all the words are in a foreign language, so you have to translate them before playing.

OMG!! that is hilarious and soooo true!! Reminds me of Torts!! Especially with Negligence principles..haha remember pasgraf and proximate cause!?? haha my professor was upsessed with that case and Cardozo!! haah

LATINLORD!

HEY!!!! Poster!! How are things??!! what school do you attend??? Thanks for the hello!!
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 13, 2007, 05:52:09 PM »
My profs don't let you off if you say you don't know. They go to a question you do know then try to lead to the answer they were going for.

The work is so different from what I expected. You read 2 pages 2 twice, take careful notes, then go to class and have a prof point out slowly through questioning 20 things you didn't notice about it. Then at the end you find out the next case completely reverses or changes the rule established by the first, so all that work is just for historical interest. Then you read a 3rd case and you find out the second was the odd one, and the rule to take away is the one established in the first. It is like playing Where's Waldo, but with words instead of pictures and all the words are in a foreign language, so you have to translate them before playing.

OMG!! that is hilarious and soooo true!! Reminds me of Torts!! Especially with Negligence principles..haha remember pasgraf and proximate cause!?? haha my professor was upsessed with that case and Cardozo!! haah

LATINLORD!

HEY!!!! Poster!! How are things??!! what school do you attend??? Thanks for the hello!!

hey, I'm a michigan summer starter. glad to see you are still around and now a 2L, wow!
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 13, 2007, 05:59:24 PM »
AND thanking me for yet another reunion...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 13, 2007, 06:01:41 PM »
AND thanking me for yet another reunion...

another?
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #615 on: August 13, 2007, 06:13:10 PM »

LATINLORD!

hey, I'm a michigan summer starter. glad to see you are still around and now a 2L, wow!

OH ok... great!! i was a summer startup also! glad to hear things are going well at Michigan.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 20, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
for those starting your 2nd or 3rd year, what unexpected expenses came up?

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 20, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »
for those starting your 2nd or 3rd year, what unexpected expenses came up?

Just some general stuff I did not plan for when I was making my first year budget:

ABA membership fee
Local bar association membership fee
$ to go to local bar association lunches, CLE’s etc.
Dry cleaning a lot more than I thought I would
Eating food at school/being stuck at school without having brought anything with me to eat
Drinking lots of mountain dew from the vending machines at school to keep awake
Going through a ream of paper and a printer cartridge at least once a month (more when legal writing stuff was due)
$ for making lots of copies
Getting a Tivo so I could actually watch something worthwhile when I had time in my schedule to actually watch TV.
Going through/losing a lot of pens/highlighters/sticky notes
Getting a back up hard drive to back all my crap up, plus a thumb drive to keep a copy that was not connected to my computer/internet at all
Business cards
Thank-you cards for after interviews/meetings
smoking more than I did before LS
Generally blowing money on stuff I don’t need but think I need at the time
Eating out more than I thought I would

All I can think of right now

do a lot of people really do bar membership while still in law school?

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 20, 2007, 08:55:47 PM »
I'm a member of the local bar association and the state bar association.  It's a good idea especially if you want to work in the state but have no real ties to it.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 20, 2007, 08:56:57 PM »
I'm a member of the local bar association and the state bar association.  It's a good idea especially if you want to work in the state but have no real ties to it.

do u go to the meetings?