Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

Alamo

• View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #520 on: June 08, 2007, 11:57:22 AM »
I actually enjoy property.  Right now I'm working on an inverse condemnation/breach of contracts case in which I've used a decent amount of substantive knowledge I learned in both property and contracts, although of course I've needed to look up the relevant practice/case law for my jurisdiction.  But I wouldn't say the substantive classes are necessarily worthless for learning useful black letter law.  And I'd never call most of my classes boring. 

« Reply #521 on: June 08, 2007, 12:06:29 PM »
I actually enjoy property.  Right now I'm working on an inverse condemnation/breach of contracts case in which I've used a decent amount of substantive knowledge I learned in both property and contracts, although of course I've needed to look up the relevant practice/case law for my jurisdiction.  But I wouldn't say the substantive classes are necessarily worthless for learning useful black letter law.  And I'd never call most of my classes boring. 

gunner

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 08, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »

gunner

::grins sheepishly::

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 08, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »
I don't know if that. . .just means that I'm a lot simpler than y'all.  :D

Ha!  Shut yer trap.

I enjoyed learning about substantive law at a 1L level, including conlaw.

Me too, especially conlaw and the "short story" case classes, crim and torts.  I found contracts most intellectually engaging, however.  I'm sure this varies from prof to prof.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 08, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »
anyone regretting going to law school?

Reesespbcup

• Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: June 08, 2007, 12:55:06 PM »
tiggity-tag 

« Reply #526 on: June 08, 2007, 12:59:35 PM »
anyone regretting going to law school?

yes, but thats nothing new.

CAREFULLY consider your options, goals, and dreams before coming to lawschool.  read those books about lawschool, there is one that details in the first chapter the steps you should take before making the decision--the steps are rather extensive and time consuming, but less so than lawschool.  in the absence of careful consideration you should, at a minimum, find a way to graduate from lawschool debt free.  a person who just graduated from my school is moving to a city on the east coast to coach crew b/c the law "just isn't for" him, and his family paid tuition.  its bad enough if you are unhappy, its worse if you are $150K in debt to boot!

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 08, 2007, 01:08:54 PM »
I just wanted to note that the title of this thread bothers me ever time I see it.

For those who dammit!  ;)

Hah, it's a blue thread.  What did you expect?

This is why I try to avoid blue threads.  It hurts my inner grammar nazi.

eye no what u meanie

Zam

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 08, 2007, 01:11:06 PM »
a person who just graduated from my school is moving to a city on the east coast to coach crew b/c the law "just isn't for" him, and his family paid tuition.

:o

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 08, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »
I don't know if that. . .just means that I'm a lot simpler than y'all.  :D

Ha!  Shut yer trap.

I enjoyed learning about substantive law at a 1L level, including conlaw.

Me too, especially conlaw and the "short story" case classes, crim and torts.  I found contracts most intellectually engaging, however.  I'm sure this varies from prof to prof.

Yeah, I agree.  My profs fall semester were amazing, but last semester we had a bunch of total duds.  I never felt intellectually stimulated even if the reading was interesting. 

In response to blue's question, sometimes I hated law school a lot, especially last semester, but I don't regret it.  But I agree that you really have to be sure about it before jumping in or you may be really sorry later.  There were plenty of people in my class who talked constantly about quitting.