Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

Alamo

• View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #510 on: June 08, 2007, 07:50:05 AM »
Wow.  Outside of Property my experience has been very very different.  I found 1L quite intellectually engaging and stimulating, but I don't know if that says something about my profs or just means that I'm a lot simpler than y'all.  :D

smiley and I were just reflecting on the fact that we actually DID spend so much time sitting around and discussing "substantive legal issues." 

And 7 Property exams?  That sounds like the sixth circle of hell!

I thought 1L was pretty engaging too, other than Civ Pro II, which was basic Complaint>discovery>settlement>trial stuff.  Even though I was definitely much less of a gunner/dork 2nd semester than 1st, I was just as into it.  I also spend most of my leisure time sitting on my porch in a rocking chair with my pregnant wife listening to the birds chirp, so I've got a feeling there's a strong correlation between being simple and enjoying law school...

« Reply #511 on: June 08, 2007, 11:27:56 AM »
From what I understand you're supposed to start looking at issues in terms of how you might litigate and/or defend them,  and not necessarily whether or not it makes sense to even be able to litigate such issues.

Is this far off?

As said already, part of the purpose of law school is to learn how to pick out the important arguments (ie the arguments that will win the case and those that favor your side) while devoting significantly less time to the others.  Personally, especially 1L year, I found most of the cases and subjects to be pretty boring.  It's hard to really care about a cricket ball hitting someone in the head more than a hundred years ago.  And not many people have a really strong opinion on easements.  So, it's pretty easy to divorce yourself from the just/unjust nature of the outcomes of those types of cases and simply focus on the analysis.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 08, 2007, 11:33:09 AM »
It's hard to really care about a cricket ball hitting someone in the head more than a hundred years ago. 

No it isn't!   >:(

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 08, 2007, 11:36:01 AM »
I just wanted to note that the title of this thread bothers me ever time I see it.

For those who dammit!  ;)

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 08, 2007, 11:37:35 AM »
I dunno, I have found law school extremely boring at times. Iím not saying the material is not interesting, it is, but its not, at least to me, intellectually stimulating. Some people get the whole thinking like a lawyer quickly, others it takes time. The more black and white you see the world the harder it will be for you to adjust, the more you can see an issues from many sides, even sides you find absurd, the easier it will be for you. In the end itís a professional school, its not deep thought, its not solving the worlds problems, its learning tid bits and trying to put them in the order that makes the most sense on exams. The things that make a good lawyer and the things that make a good grade on a law school exam are sadly not the same thing.

I agree.  That's why i like the smaller clinic courses which a more hands-on and practical.
I tend to do better in those courses too, perhaps because they play to my strengths and make me actually (gasp) feel good about what I can accomplish.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 08, 2007, 11:44:36 AM »
I just wanted to note that the title of this thread bothers me ever time I see it.

Hah, it's a blue thread.  What did you expect?

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 08, 2007, 11:46:10 AM »

This is why I try to avoid blue threads.  It hurts my inner grammar nazi.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 08, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »

This is why I try to avoid blue threads.  It hurts my inner grammer nazi.
grammEr?

Anyway, you have to get used to things like that.
Casebooks are full of "which" instead of "that."

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 08, 2007, 11:51:29 AM »

grammEr?

:D  Clearly its been a long day.  :P Just over an hour until I'm done!

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 08, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »

grammEr?

:D  Clearly its been a long day.  :P Just over an hour until I'm done!

Long day?  I've been up for less than two hours.   :)