Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

dbgirl

• View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #500 on: June 07, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »
hmmm, law school is not seeming like the intellectually stimulating experience i was hoping for...

There is very little intellectual stimulation in law school. Its more like intellectual stagnation. Thinking like a lawyer is thinking like everyone else in law school. Law school classes are more like 101 classes from undergrad than not, your only touching the surface, your not learning near enough about the law to actually do anything with your knowledge. Law school is about teaching you the way to think, not teaching you what the law is or how it works in practice.

Matthies, if my memory is correct (and knows, I am a law student), you're a soon to be 3L, like me, right?

Blue, if it's any comfort, I feel a lot better about law school now that I have just one year left  :D
There are a lot of things about law school that can be interesting - like the clinical courses.  I really liked, for example, doing trial advocacy and (to a lesser degree) appellate advocacy because I felt that I was really doing things  that played to my interests and strengths.  Thankfully the further along you get in law school the more opportunities you have to work with your interests.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 07, 2007, 07:38:27 PM »
25% of our civ pro exam was on a concept we spent less than 30 minutes on.

another 25% was supposedly on erie doctrine, but couched in such a way it was totally unrecognizable.

yet another 25% was worded "what is the quickest avenue to filing an appeal" but was really a question about summary judgment

the final 25% was on personal jurisdiction, but involved a guy on a military base and a state court, and he somehow didn't realize that a military base was federal property, and that active duty military are considered residents of their home-of-record states and not the states in which they are stationed -- and of course none of those concepts were covered in class.

the 4 weeks we spent on discovery?  nowhere to be found.

« Reply #502 on: June 07, 2007, 09:25:16 PM »

another 25% was supposedly on erie doctrine, but couched in such a way it was totally unrecognizable.

we covered the erie doctrine on the last day ever of class. and only spent one day on it. and it wasn't on our final.

i am not kidding.

so I got one of the grades I was waiting for, it was an A-. I don't have contracts yet. It's like waiting for a bomb to drop right on my GPA.  :(

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 07, 2007, 09:37:13 PM »
hmmm, law school is not seeming like the intellectually stimulating experience i was hoping for...

There is very little intellectual stimulation in law school. Its more like intellectual stagnation. Thinking like a lawyer is thinking like everyone else in law school. Law school classes are more like 101 classes from undergrad than not, your only touching the surface, your not learning near enough about the law to actually do anything with your knowledge. Law school is about teaching you the way to think, not teaching you what the law is or how it works in practice.

Yeah, this is the part I'll absolutely f-ing hate.

I was reading this really annoying article in Trial magazine about litigating ATV accidents, and the author was going on and on about the various avenues to pursue in a chain of negligence. The entire time I was reading this article I was screaming "this is absolutely f-ing absurd" all the while realizing that in law school I'm going to have to swallow any emotional and intellectual engagement I may have with a situation or issue, and begin to understand (and even appreciate) these scenarios from a "lawyerly" perspective.

I really don't f-ing care how you may be able to litigate something if its absolutely batshit ridiculous to begin with. Hopefully I can find salvation in trying to seeing the other side, and combating this absurdity.

« Reply #504 on: June 07, 2007, 09:40:37 PM »
I'm going to have to swallow any emotional and intellectual engagement I may have with a situation or issue

I haven't felt like that at all really...maybe something is wrong with me

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 07, 2007, 09:51:43 PM »
From what I understand you're supposed to start looking at issues in terms of how you might litigate and/or defend them,  and not necessarily whether or not it makes sense to even be able to litigate such issues.

Is this far off?

« Reply #506 on: June 07, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »
From what I understand you're supposed to start looking at issues in terms of how you might litigate and/or defend them,  and not necessarily whether or not it makes sense to even be able to litigate such issues.

Is this far off?

Um, I think part of being a good lawyer is being able to spot what issues are pointless to defend.

Anytime you will get a fact pattern on a test, there might be 15 potential issues you could spot and argue. But when you are taking a time-constrained test, the person who can pick out the strongest arguments and argue them well gets the best grade.

And even in practice, an attorney might get a potential case and decide that its not worth the firms time to bother with the case...

You think law school is just all about listing all the potential arguments you could make for an issue, and that basically your thinking has to be completely void of any common sense?

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 07, 2007, 10:23:28 PM »
Certainly not "all about," but I do think a large part of it is (re)training people to think of issues in a lawyerly way.

Maybe I'm just confused as to what that exactly means.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 08, 2007, 05:09:30 AM »

Is this far off?

If this is your demand for intellectual engagement, it will be met in spades.  There's a lot of "Does this law make sense?" and "What incentives does this property regime provide?" type of stuff.  The questions just aren't particularly deep.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 08, 2007, 06:36:58 AM »
Wow.  Outside of Property my experience has been very very different.  I found 1L quite intellectually engaging and stimulating, but I don't know if that says something about my profs or just means that I'm a lot simpler than y'all.  :D

smiley and I were just reflecting on the fact that we actually DID spend so much time sitting around and discussing "substantive legal issues." 

And 7 Property exams?  That sounds like the sixth circle of hell!