Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #480 on: June 07, 2007, 07:01:18 AM »
I don't like Property jokes *at all*.  But that's probably because I hated my Property prof with a purple passion.  It's also the only class where I could dream of blaming my sub-par grade on her shortcomings rather than my own. :D

« Reply #481 on: June 07, 2007, 08:46:28 AM »
I don't like Property jokes *at all*.  But that's probably because I hated my Property prof with a purple passion.  It's also the only class where I could dream of blaming my sub-par grade on her shortcomings rather than my own. :D

We should start a club. Not like my grades aren't generally sub-par but my final had absolutely nothing to do with the class. There was no way we could have even have studied.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 07, 2007, 08:53:32 AM »

We should start a club. Not like my grades aren't generally sub-par but my final had absolutely nothing to do with the class. There was no way we could have even have studied.

huh?

how is that possible?   :(

« Reply #483 on: June 07, 2007, 08:59:33 AM »

huh?

The prof told us for around 80-90% of the class that we would be getting multi-state style questions. Then with a few weeks before exams, he told us it would be on vignettes he brought up in class and people gave their opinions on. None of us had written that stuff down because we didn't think it would be on the exam. Even if we had written something down, it was a lot more general than was needed to do well.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 07, 2007, 09:07:30 AM »
blue, they can be as random as they desire. 

Our Property exam wasn't that bad, but it was still ridiculous.  Closed book, and we had questions like: What were the three main points of the dissent in [Obscure Takings Case]?

Don't get me wrong - I can see how memorizing the dissents to the 97 cases we read is a useful legal skill and I don't mean to suggest that it would be a waste of time..  ::)

« Reply #485 on: June 07, 2007, 09:10:42 AM »
blue, they can be as random as they desire. 

Our Property exam wasn't that bad, but it was still ridiculous.  Closed book, and we had questions like: What were the three main points of the dissent in [Obscure Takings Case]?

Don't get me wrong - I can see how memorizing the dissents to the 97 cases we read is a useful legal skill and I don't mean to suggest that it would be a waste of time..  ::)

From my survey of students at a few schools, the likelihood that the exam has nothing to do with the topic at hand is the highest in property. However, my knowledge of a conversation we had in class in February and what random gunners were saying about it really doesn't have anything to do with how well I know the topic. Nor does my memory of an arbitration lecture really show how much I know about property.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 07, 2007, 09:14:37 AM »

huh?

You'll find out soon enough blue.  Almost every student has a story like this. The entire first half of my con law I exam was based largely on a case we were specifically instructed to skip (I suppose said instructor wrote the exam before deciding to skip the case).   And it's not uncommon for a professor to ask a question based on some random seemingly insignificant somethingorother mentioned momentarily in class one day.  Basically professors have a lot of material they can theoretically test on and some just like to @#!* with your head.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 07, 2007, 09:15:49 AM »

huh?

The prof told us for around 80-90% of the class that we would be getting multi-state style questions. Then with a few weeks before exams, he told us it would be on vignettes he brought up in class and people gave their opinions on. None of us had written that stuff down because we didn't think it would be on the exam. Even if we had written something down, it was a lot more general than was needed to do well.

One you're a 2L, you'll see this is a frequent professor trick.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 07, 2007, 09:17:16 AM »
that bites!

then how do you know what to study?  do they do like undergrad and give a review?

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 07, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »
I just realized that I should clarify - I hated this prof all semester, openly and vigorously.  A lousy grade was just the appropriate coda to a terrible course. 

I knew we weren't going to hit if off when we had the following exchange as our first ever conversation:

Amy: Hi Prof. so-and-so.  I wanted to make sure that you got my email about missing classes this week (because I'm taking my exams from first semester)(you're the only prof. who ignored my email so I have to ask.)

Prof: Oh yeah, I think so.  You the one whose dad died?

I *&^% you not.