Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #430 on: June 04, 2007, 04:08:31 AM »
Am I shooting myself in the foot if I don't care too much about grades or law review (because I really don't).

I'm much more interested in a specific niche, and it seems that spending that extra time networking and interning would be much more fruitful than spending countless hours editing or studying to try to jump from the median to top 10 percent (obviously I'm not interesting in doing poorly, either).

Thoughts?

While there is a certain amount of arbitrariness to law school grades, I think you'll find that you do just fine without going nuts in the library as long as you are reasonably diligent. 

I can't answer this question for you except to say that your niche is a fairly competitive one and you probably owe it to yourself to try to earn the best opportunities you can.  This means good grades, possibly clerking (which most people think is significantly aided by being on LR).  That said, your internship placements, clinics, and networking are probably more important than the difference between having a note in a less competitive journal and being articles editor on LR or something. 

For me, I have said all along that I primarily care about my grades in order to keep my scholarships.  I am learning that I would like some of the other opportunities good grades open up.

I think there's a misconception that the people who don't do so well aren't reasonably diligent. I'm not the greatest student in law school primarily because I get massive test anxiety, and I have another friend who works much harder than I do and tends to do even worse on exams. Both of us are above average in legal writing though, so it's not that we don't get it.

A lot of times supplements really are necessary if your professor isn't so hot, but other times they can do more harm than good.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 04, 2007, 12:21:04 PM »
I think there's a misconception that the people who don't do so well aren't reasonably diligent. I'm not the greatest student in law school primarily because I get massive test anxiety, and I have another friend who works much harder than I do and tends to do even worse on exams. Both of us are above average in legal writing though, so it's not that we don't get it.

I agree wholeheartedly and I empathize with your test anxiety, qc.  I should have stressed that reasonable diligence can guarantee only fine (but not excellent) grades, and then only absent specific problems like test anxiety or a personal crisis on test day.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 04, 2007, 12:38:21 PM »
are y'all happy with your schools?

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 04, 2007, 12:39:34 PM »
very

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 04, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »
yes

« Reply #435 on: June 04, 2007, 03:51:55 PM »
are y'all happy with your schools?

It could be better; personal reasons.

Same here.

« Reply #436 on: June 04, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »
sometimes

sometimes i also want to throw myself off a roof

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 04, 2007, 04:54:59 PM »
I can't believe I'm doing this to a Blue thread, but...

BAFF

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 04, 2007, 06:28:27 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly and I empathize with your test anxiety, qc.  I should have stressed that reasonable diligence can guarantee only fine (but not excellent) grades, and then only absent specific problems like test anxiety or a personal crisis on test day.

Oh ho ho

::thinks back to an eighteen month old thread on a related matter::

I'm not sure the two are related, but I am open, as always, to learning more about my foibles and inconsistencies.  Go for it. :D

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 04, 2007, 06:44:44 PM »
I'm not sure the two are related, but I am open, as always, to learning more about my foibles and inconsistencies.  Go for it. :D

me -- reasonable diligence can guarantee a fine but [not excellent] raw score barring specific problems like test anxiety
p -- reasonable diligence can guarantee a fine but [not excellent] grades barring specific problems like test anxiety

reasonable diligence = staying awake in UG & life generally;
fine raw score = 90-94

:)

Nah, I'm talking about people who have made it into law school already, having passed through the LSAT hoop.  Furthermore, getting a B+ on a law school exam allows much more room for error than a 90+ raw score on the LSAT.