Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

fuwaf

• View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #400 on: February 17, 2007, 03:47:23 PM »
Sample exams with no sample answers?!

For my Contracts class last semester, my professor sent us his "exam de-briefs" for the last FIVE years that had all the exam essay questions with the best student answers.  Very helpful.  He sent us a de-brief in early January as well for our test and I think that's a great way to do things.  I wish more professors did something like that.

As far as the word count/volume thing, I've pretty much decided that when a professor tells you they don't want you to regurgitate everything you know, it's bull.  The ones I pulled everything I could out of the air/my ass were my best grades.  Seriously, I was putting in stuff that was probably BARELY relevant to the problem just to show what I knew and probably spotting issues that didn't even exist.  This semester my Property professor puts the "don't regurgitate" disclaimer on the exam, but he wants us to throw tons of random *&^% back at him and if you miss it, you get points off. 

« Reply #401 on: February 17, 2007, 04:06:49 PM »
How do you even get the answers? I assumed you meant just asking them for general tips, not getting actual answers. Most of m profs don't make the exam until a few days before the test.

Woah, you must be drunk and it's early even for me.  And I've been drinking.

I got A answers from previous years.  Even when professors would give sample student answers, they often were a combination of good answers from different students which overstated what it took to get an A.  Having real A exams allowed me to better understand what that looked like.

Not drunk, but your solution isn't applicable in most cases. It's not helpful when you don't have profs who actually teach that class regularly, which is the case for 2/4 profs I had last semester and possibly all the profs I have this semester. At any rate, I'm not going to go breaking the honor code to bring up my grade.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 17, 2007, 04:25:56 PM »
Yeah, our workload is much worse this semester.  We have the three doctrinal courses, plus an elective, plus Legal Practice.

That's what we've had both semesters.  They baby you at Michigan.  They baby them at Boalt as well.

Yeah, I also have 4 (substantive) + 1 (practical -- legal writing and research or legal practice) each semester.  I think life sounds so much easier with a 3 + 1, but I'm not someone who likes to shift gears.

Maybe I only feel this way because my professors posted sample exams but NO SAMPLE ANSWERS!  Arg, I cannot tell you how frustrating that is.

That's why you make friends with 2Ls and 3Ls by drinking them under the table at the start of the year.  By far the most useful info I had came from A exams given to me by friends in those courses.  More specifically, A exams from the smart kids who shared them with the kids dumb enough to hang out with me.  No kidding, this was hugely useful.

This is probably where having a personality would come in handy.  It'd only work in the classes with take-home exams (otherwise, our exams are off limits to us -- and sharing them would be an honor code violation), but my profs in those classes didn't post sample answers to their sample exams, either, so it seems like a good enough idea.  Of course, I am much too lazy to have really done practice exams or whatever anyway.  I mean, I barely outlined.

As for meiji's question about exam easiness/grades, I think it depends much more on the professor and the exam style than on the relative ease of the course.  By far my lowest grade (below the median, yo!) was in my hardest class, with the hardest exam, from the most sadistic professor.  We all agree that the test didn't match what we read and discussed in class and that the grade distribution seems essentially random.  That said, I probably would have done better had I taken a pill before the exam.  I spent at least 40 of my 210 minutes staring at the clock with hot tears streaming down my face.

In my other classes, for whatever it's worth, I finished in the top 10-20% (don't know more specifically than that as I only know the ranges implied by the letter grades, and I did not get the A+ in any class), and they ran from incredibly easy to moderately difficult.  I don't know if this matters, but I do attend a second-tier school.  While I think my classmates are very bright and thoughtful, some might assume they areweaker competition than at higher-ranked institutions (I don't, but I don't know).

As for volume, again, I really think it depends on the professor.  Some of our professors clearly rewarded concise, well-organized answers while others went straight through counting up checks on a list, the more the merrier (write both "quasi contract" and "quantum meruit" in case you get a point for each).

last light

• keep fading
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 17, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »
Pussies.

We had 6 courses my 1L year at Santa Clara. That'll teach me to be a retard on the LSAT.

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 17, 2007, 04:52:07 PM »
Yeah, this was what annoyed me.  I got this line from a new-ish prof, and I really think she misunderestimated her own evaluation techniques.  Entirely based on gossip, of course.

I was plagued by professor misstatements all through undergrad.  Many, if not most, professors claim some highly defined grading process but deviate from it more often than not in practice.

Discussing grading practices with students who have had that professor was my only solid recourse.

Doesn't work for new professors though.   >:(

Yeah, it's another one of those things where you used to get a sheet of paper with the "rules" for the class at the beginning of the year/semester (this happened a lot in high school) and a day/week/month in you realize that the whole thing is bull. 

My evil whore of a Property professor gives us so many bull misstatements it's like machine gun fire. 

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: February 17, 2007, 05:23:58 PM »
I spent at least 40 of my 210 minutes staring at the clock with hot tears streaming down my face.

Ugh. I did that in CivPro--a solid 45 minutes with no clue what i should even be writing, staring at the ceiling, and going to the bathroom for a little cry. Ugly.

:D

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 17, 2007, 05:28:43 PM »
I spent at least 40 of my 210 minutes staring at the clock with hot tears streaming down my face.

Ugh. I did that in CivPro--a solid 45 minutes with no clue what i should even be writing, staring at the ceiling, and going to the bathroom for a little cry. Ugly.

:D

Hey! Don't laugh at my pain!

your pain is my pain.  :)

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 17, 2007, 09:01:57 PM »
Hi Bond!!  How's your sexy Bond lady? ;)

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 18, 2007, 09:58:22 AM »

r u kidding?

wouldnt it have been much more productive and morale improving to key your teachers car?

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 14, 2007, 05:48:04 PM »
anyone run into a

well, MY daddy is so and so....

yet?