Law School Discussion

for those that have started law school

Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #390 on: February 17, 2007, 02:31:03 PM »
We have no curve so it's impossible to really know how well we did with regards to the rest of the class. I've heard so many speculations about the median that I can't even begin to estimate where I might fall in the class.

see, now that would drive me 'round the bend.

We do get a grade distribution posted at some point in the semester, but that point has not arrived yet. It doesn't look like the spring grades were posted until August, so we may be waiting until April for all I know. All we're told is that the median for 1Ls is "approximately" a certain grade- which gives pretty much no information whatsoever. Approximately could mean +-.01 or +-.3 for all we know.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 17, 2007, 02:42:44 PM »
Maybe I only feel this way because my professors posted sample exams but NO SAMPLE ANSWERS!  Arg, I cannot tell you how frustrating that is.

That's why you make friends with 2Ls and 3Ls by drinking them under the table at the start of the year.  By far the most useful info I had came from A exams given to me by friends in those courses.  More specifically, A exams from the smart kids who shared them with the kids dumb enough to hang out with me.  No kidding, this was hugely useful.

« Reply #392 on: February 17, 2007, 02:45:25 PM »
Maybe I only feel this way because my professors posted sample exams but NO SAMPLE ANSWERS!  Arg, I cannot tell you how frustrating that is.

That's why you make friends with 2Ls and 3Ls by drinking them under the table at the start of the year.  By far the most useful info I had came from A exams given to me by friends in those courses.  More specifically, A exams from the smart kids who shared them with the kids dumb enough to hang out with me.  No kidding, this was hugely useful.

I think it really depends on the person. I know someone who had good mentor relationships with 2Ls/3Ls who made it onto law review but still struggled on exams. There's a lot more to doing well on an exam than just knowing what is required. I know I suffer from test anxiety during the studying phase so that tends to prevent me from doing as well as I could on actual exams. I know other people with the same problem.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 17, 2007, 02:47:10 PM »
There's a lot more to doing well on an exam than just knowing what is required.

Of course.  I just was commenting that the best way to get the information mentioned above was to befriend older students.  I'm not saying it's sufficient to guarantee success.

« Reply #394 on: February 17, 2007, 02:51:15 PM »

Of course.  I just was commenting that the best way to get the information mentioned above was to befriend older students.  I'm not saying it's sufficient to guarantee success.

I'm not saying you're implying that, but with everyone who comes on here top 5% touting how they did that well, I think people can get the mistaken impression that if you do x, y, and z you will do well. Those of us who aren't in the top 25% just aren't advertising our rank (not like I'd even be able to if I wanted to).

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: February 17, 2007, 02:51:26 PM »

It is an honor violation to get test answers from upperclassmen.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 17, 2007, 03:05:36 PM »

Trust me, some of the things I did to get them would get me kicked out much sooner than this.

« Reply #397 on: February 17, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »

Trust me, some of the things I did to get them would get me kicked out much sooner than this.

How do you even get the answers? I assumed you meant just asking them for general tips, not getting actual answers. Most of m profs don't make the exam until a few days before the test.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 17, 2007, 03:13:53 PM »
How do you even get the answers? I assumed you meant just asking them for general tips, not getting actual answers. Most of m profs don't make the exam until a few days before the test.

Woah, you must be drunk and it's early even for me.  And I've been drinking.

I got A answers from previous years.  Even when professors would give sample student answers, they often were a combination of good answers from different students which overstated what it took to get an A.  Having real A exams allowed me to better understand what that looked like.

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #399 on: February 17, 2007, 03:20:44 PM »
Also not helpful for the dreaded closed book, multiple choice.