for those that have started law school

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
Re: for those that have started law school
« Reply #290 on: November 24, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »
Also, no repo-man for brains.

Sure. It goes by "BigLaw".

Alas, that's not in the cards, long term at least.

On the subject of post-grad employment, my adviser has some interesting advice.  For what I want to do, she said the best thing to do would be to get a supreme court clerkship.  Of course, I should get a feeder one first.  For that, incredible grades and law review would be expected.  Thanks adviser.  You're great.  She said the same thing to a classmate of mine who is interested in an entirely different field.

Hmm.  Recent graduates really do make far better advisors. 

Who'd have thunk it?

Academia, right? 

Yea, academia for me, appellate litigation for a friend.  It certainly helps for both (golden ticket?), but is necessary for neither.  I think that COA clerkship is a prereq for appellate lit., but not necessarily for academia (many more ways to skin that cat). In any case, I'll probably go for a clerkship if I can.

I don't know about appellate litigation, but my bro has a very interesting argument about why clerkships are overrated generally. 

The exceptions, of course, are academia and future federal judiciary. 
Share please :)

First, they're not cost-effective.  Bonuses for COA clerkships at Covington, Skadden, Sullivan, Baker Botts, Williams, and Latham (the only firms for which he has confirmation) barely cover interest -- they don't touch the opportunity cost of foregoing a 125k starting salary for a 50k clerkship.  SCOTUS bonuses at Latham might, but he doesn't know any SCOTUS clerks (yet), so he can't tell for certain.

Second, with the exception of a few fields like academia, it doesn't substantially help your career. Making partner has little to do with your past achievements and everything to do with rainmaking. 

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 24, 2006, 08:09:53 PM »
god, i hate law school

Why? The kids or the material?

the kids are fine.  i'm very frustrated at one of my professors

cheesesteak

« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2006, 02:28:37 AM »
god, i hate law school

Why?

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2006, 09:21:39 AM »
god, i hate law school

Why?

difference of opinion on a memo.  it appears i'm trying to be convinced that i'm not a good writer, and i know better. 

redemption

« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2006, 09:26:39 AM »
difference of opinion on a memo.  it appears i'm trying to be convinced that i'm not a good writer, and i know better. 

I hear that LRW is supposed to destroy what writing ability that one had in order to make it more high school-ish

« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2006, 09:49:49 AM »

I hear that LRW is supposed to destroy what writing ability that one had in order to make it more high school-ish

Yup, that about sums it up.  They seem to enjoy telling us that English majors do the worst.

I think it depends on the school. I was an English major and I am doing well in my class. My prof never makes any comments about people generally doing the worst, but she's made comments about the general lack of writing skill making it more difficult for people to improve generally.

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »
My LW professor has never taught the class before and I'm convinced he lives in a magical land of his own making. 

He likes to tell us how to organize our papers, and then when we organize it that way, he tells us it's wrong. 

He contradicts himself in other ways too.  Therefore, I am learning nothing about legal writing and have decided that his class is worthless and I should not be paying the slightest attention to my grades in that class.

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 25, 2006, 11:01:09 AM »
My LW professor has never taught the class before and I'm convinced he lives in a magical land of his own making. 

He likes to tell us how to organize our papers, and then when we organize it that way, he tells us it's wrong. 

He contradicts himself in other ways too. Therefore, I am learning nothing about legal writing and have decided that his class is worthless and I should not be paying the slightest attention to my grades in that class.

I hate teachers like that. :|

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 25, 2006, 11:01:16 AM »

I'm doing well and writing exactly as I always have.  I think LRW caters to a particular style: concise and well-structured.  It doesn't cater to creative expression.  My position (at least on my own writing) is that I want straightforward prose with impressive ideas/arguments.  Creativity in thought is more important (for me) than creativity in expression.

redemption

« Reply #299 on: November 25, 2006, 11:18:56 AM »
I'm doing well and writing exactly as I always have.  I think LRW caters to a particular style: concise and well-structured.  It doesn't cater to creative expression.  My position (at least on my own writing) is that I want straightforward prose with impressive ideas/arguments.  Creativity in thought is more important (for me) than creativity in expression.

No 5x repetition of exactly the same idea in HLS LRW?